Best tasting beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually say "It should still moo when you poke it"

Cooked on a BBQ or fire is definitely better than pan fried, but we don't do much BBQ and I won't complain about pan friedView attachment 17743
Looks good...

I do both grilled and pan fried. The trick to grilled is heat and all I season with is salt and pepper.

But the trick to pan fried is a cold steak seasoned liberally with garlic powder and pepper and salt in that order... and HEAT. Use enough oil that you can slosh it from side to side slightly and sear all sides. I like to add mushrooms so they soak up the juices.

My preference? Either one if done right.

Now if you are talking about sides it has to be potato salad.

EDIT: What SmokinM said... YUM!

We bought a pig from a local guy. We usually like pork. We usually like side pork. [This side pork was cut so THICK it's awful.] So I've been smoking it on the smoker for 45 minutes to an hour and eating it that way. At least it has some flavor. I didn't know pork could be so bland. At least the sausage is good. And we got some ground pork which isn't supposed to have a lot of flavor. The pork chops and side pork are tasteless. And we got a lot of side pork, no bacon, just really thick sliced side pork.🥴

What a disappointment.
Did I mention the pork chops are tough?
Have you no knife?

We bought a pig from a local guy. We usually like pork. We usually like side pork. This side pork was cut so THICK it's awful. So I've been smoking it on the smoker for 45 minutes to an hour and eating it that way. At least it has some flavor. I didn't know pork could be so bland. At least the sausage is good. And we got some ground pork which isn't supposed to have a lot of flavor. The pork chops and side pork are tasteless. And we got a lot of side pork, no bacon, just really thick sliced side pork.🥴

What a disappointment.
Did I mention the pork chops are tough?
As a former hog farmer, I sympathize with the disappointment over most pork these days. Not near as good as what we ate growing up.

Breed has absolutely nothing to do with the taste of a steak. Aging, marinading, seasoning and how it is cooked is what makes a good steak. I will not use a gas grill, and pellet grills are used by dudes who drink White Claw. I always use mesquite for beef and chicken, hickory for pork. Our local Kroger has a "manager's section" in the meat department, where they have marked down items that are close to going out of date. if a steak starts turning the least brown, they put it in there and buy it. I will cook it in the next few days, and marinate it at room temperature for a few hours before I grill it. That being said, the best tasting, tenderest steak I ever had was in 1980, cooked on an open fire by a safari cook, cut from an old Cape buffalo bull I shot the day before. Leaving camp way before sun-up, and stalking maybe 10-12 hours a day, some days nearly 20 miles, in 100 degree heat for 10 days, may have had a lot do with the way that 2 lb steak tasted, though. :)

What does that have to do with tasteless pork?

I have learned to smoke the side pork. It's yummy then, but I have to get up early to do it in time for breakfast.
It was someone who looked just like you who said, "This side pork was cut so THICK it's just awful" That is a stand alone declarative sentence.
Your statement implies the side pork is awful because it was cut THICK. Owing to the fact, you expressed an opinion the side pork was awful
because it was cut thick I brought up the subject of the knife. Always glad to help.. Now you raise the question, You smoke side pork before
breakfast? You are an early riser!

It is called Sous Vide in the water bath. You can guarantee that the internal temp is perfect that way, but I still prefer the grill.
Sous vide alone deletes the Maillard reaction, which is a centuries old and essential process for bringing out the full flavors of any meat and even breads. It's not the same as caramelization, but somewhat similar.
I suppose ne could sous vide, then drop it on a hot grill or pan for the MR, but what would be the point when a grilling or pan charring meat does the same thing in minutes.

I've lived in N. Carolina,, Florida panhandle and in Tennessee. What you say above is simply not true.
Granted, I've never had brisket in TX, but good pork bbq sliced or chopped is hard to beat.
I will say though that I was once pretty disappointed in North Carolina pulled pork. Their idea of bbq sauce was straight vinegar.

Granted, I've never had brisket in TX, but good pork bbq sliced or chopped is hard to beat.
I will say though that I was once pretty disappointed in North Carolina pulled pork. Their idea of bbq sauce was straight vinegar.
That is only in Western NC. In middle, they use a mustard base and in east, they are sane. But I must say that some Western NC Aussies are pretty darn good.

Sous vide alone deletes the Maillard reaction, which is a centuries old and essential process for bringing out the full flavors of any meat and even breads. It's not the same as caramelization, but somewhat similar.
I suppose ne could sous vide, then drop it on a hot grill or pan for the MR, but what would be the point when a grilling or pan charring meat does the same thing in minutes.
That is the point he was making about after it is taken from the water bath you hit it with a torch or super hot fire to get the maillard reaction.

Latest posts