BEST SQUEEZE CHUTE?

Help Support CattleToday:

MOcowboy

Reaction score
First of all sorry for putting this in the Breeds Board. I thought my question fit better here than the other options if not aloud please let me no and I will delete it.

I was wondering what your guys opinions are for the best squeeze chute for the money? A Palpation cage is a must and must be designed to be portable. Only chute I have dealt with is WW and I got along fine with them but was going to get some opinions before I bought anything. I have looked at several different brands at the state fair etc. but have not used anything to know if I would like them. Seems like Powder River, WW, Priefert, Foremost, Tarter is the most popular brands with the farmers around here. I do not have a big operation so trying to buy the best bang for my buck, Main thing I will be using it for is moving it from farm to farm to doctor and AI with.

I take it you want a traditional squeeze chute and not a hydraulic squeeze chute. Most of my experience the last several years have been with hydraulic chutes so can't be of any help on a standard chute.

I have a Formost at the main farm where most of the work is done. I really like it. Have a couple of Tarters series 6 at two more locations. They are fine for the limited use they receive.

I got a Foremost a few years ago and like it pretty well. I haven't used a Tarter chute but if it is like some of their other products I have had they may not be very long lasting. It may be ok for just a few head but in my opinion you may be better off in the long run with Foremost or Preifert.

I have a WW portable that I bought in 1990 and its still going strong. I agree on the Tarter being lighter. But its all in how much its used. For a lifetime of use I,would go with the beaver ones.

TennesseeTuxedo":2ldf78ov said:
Sioux Steel or nothing for me!
You are a loyal friend, but if your going to spend that kind of money on a chute buy a Arrowquip.
To answer the OP question I'd find it hard to beat a Priefert SO4 chute, in price, portability and durability.

I have a WW that I have had for at least 25 years and it survived a barn fire where I lost the whole barn and the chute was nearly the only thing I Salvaged....

I bought it because it was the best chute I got get for my limited dollars when I bought it....

mine has saloon doors for a head catch which a lot of folks don't like but my cows are quiet and it works fine for me in a one man operation..

I would look at ww again if I was shopping for one...

There are many heavier and better chutes but for me it was cost / number of cows and I decided the ww would work...
Foremost are great but they were twice the price at least.

We bought the Priefert SO4 with palp cage this year. The chute and palp cage are great. The trailer leaves a little to be desired but it seems to be the best bang for the buck in the portable department. Over all I'm happy and wish we would have gotten one 10 years ago.

You can read my ramblings about it. Not sure why all the pics don't work. Must be the CT gremlins.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=114276&start=15

Thank you for all the reply's. I don't have a large operation we currently only run 80 head that's why I'm wanting the best chute for the money but I want it to be durable and last. I really like the Arrow chutes but they are out of my price range if I remember the prices the last time I checked on them. I am still leaning towards a WW extra long with Vet gates and yoke trailer. I'm still considering the For-most 300W, Priefert S04 and Powder River 2000 series. I haven't herd much good about the Tarter.

Alacowman is right. I have a tarter chute now and one side of the head gate won't fully close anymore. I can't figure out how to adjust it. Now when we worked 1700-2200lb bulls the other day it closed but with some cows and all weaned calves it's a pain. Have to shove a bar in behind them which sux. Works your tail off just working 30 calves. I will live with it for now but will belooking for another for sure.

We have a Foremost 450W with the tall manual headgate, palp cage and split tail gate. It has done well and is very sturdy. There is no doubt hydraulics are better but for 2x the funds I wasn't sure I could justify it. As someone else mentioned the arrowquips were nice but when we priced one it was almost as high as a formost hydraulic. I can say I am 6'2" and have to watch for banging my head on the back of the squeeze chute where the palp cage attaches. We felt like the foremost was heavy built but not in areas that are a waste, some builders will add a heavy floor just to make it heavy, our 2200lb bulls are no challenge for ours.

LDEnterprises":62256twt said:
Do yourself a favor and NEVER buy a Tarter.

On 3rd year with an Arrow and it cut our processing time in half. We are about to add another Arrow at our other location next month.

Arrow = the right answer

It's fast ... and quiet ... and flexible operation. I love it. Love love love it.

Latest posts