Best Sale Barns??

Help Support CattleToday:

Bluegrass stockyards is good especially for groups of like cattle. A little less for individuals but still ok. One of the stops on the six day trade to get rich. haha
Experienced people get burned also they just don't tell about it. Never heard one say that he lost money on a deal, but it happens. They just try to get even the next time.
Bought a cow recently, got her home, started to remove the sale tags and there was a bald spot under the tag where another had been. That means someone else had already traded her once. Guess i will keep her until the hair grows back.

baxter78":1xbhk71d said:
Are you telling me that a cow that is five years old, that weans a good heavy calf every year is not worth more than 30 cents a pound? If you believe that your a fool. I just got rid of her because this year her calf did not do as well in the drought and neither did she. I needed to get rid of three and she was on the list so she went first and then the other two well I havent unloaded them yet cuz I dont want to get jipped.

That's what a kill cow is worth. If she was worth more why didn;t you sell her private treaty form the farm?

baxter78":3a2h1ex6 said:
:D

Why is it experienced old cattlemen never have any problems at a sale barn?

MIght be because they DO KNOW what they're buying and the DO KNOW what they're worth.[/quote]

Are you telling me that a cow that is five years old, that weans a good heavy calf every year is not worth more than 30 cents a pound? If you believe that your a fool. I just got rid of her because this year her calf did not do as well in the drought and neither did she. I needed to get rid of three and she was on the list so she went first and then the other two well I havent unloaded them yet cuz I dont want to get jipped.[/quote]

My greatest thrill is a cattleperson calling wanting to sell cattle off the farm. I know I can make money on them.

baxter78":15tmy5b2 said:

MIght be because they DO KNOW what they're buying and the DO KNOW what they're worth.[/quote]

Are you telling me that a cow that is five years old, that weans a good heavy calf every year is not worth more than 30 cents a pound? If you believe that your a fool. I just got rid of her because this year her calf did not do as well in the drought and neither did she. I needed to get rid of three and she was on the list so she went first and then the other two well I havent unloaded them yet cuz I dont want to get jipped.[/quote]

That is exactally what he is saying, killer cows are going for about.30 if they are having a good day!!
No one screwed you except yourself if think she was worth more then you were wrong!!!
If she was such a good cow and you hate salebarns why didn't you sell her private treaty? Could it be she wasns't such a good cow after all??

Another option was turning her out if you didn't like the price! Of course they would have laughed you out of the barn.

alacattleman":2bcglyn5 said:
Red Bull Breeder":2bcglyn5 said:
I didn't no it had been that bad dry in Kansas this year.
:p if your gonna tell one, might need too take notes and keep track
From what all my friends in Kansas say it has been the wettest yr they can remember and I have several friends out there scattered all over the state

Where are you in Kansas "Baster 78"

I get it guys it was a drought in Arizona and his cows still thought that was where they were so they couldn't acclimate to the wet Kansas grass and they suffered for all the cows in Arizona in the drought was a mental thing

kenny thomas":26aj58r8 said:
baxter78":26aj58r8 said:

MIght be because they DO KNOW what they're buying and the DO KNOW what they're worth.

My greatest thrill is a cattleperson calling wanting to sell cattle off the farm. I know I can make money on them.[/quote]

Make money on the "cows" or the "cowman"?? :lol:

backhoeboogie":36ufrsg3 said:
redfornow":36ufrsg3 said:
You to will get that education and move on to be burned less and less.

:D :D :D

Thank you for that vote of confidence there!

LOL I try!
BHB, I dont doubt that you can buy at the mean ole salebarn and do ok...
I bet you paid for that education? I know I did!
Heck every sale has its own learning curve.

I just try not to get such a big curve I cant pay the bill in cash....

TexasBred":1ej5muw1 said:
kenny thomas":1ej5muw1 said:
baxter78":1ej5muw1 said:

MIght be because they DO KNOW what they're buying and the DO KNOW what they're worth.

Are you telling me that a cow that is five years old, that weans a good heavy calf every year is not worth more than 30 cents a pound? If you believe that your a fool. I just got rid of her because this year her calf did not do as well in the drought and neither did she. I needed to get rid of three and she was on the list so she went first and then the other two well I havent unloaded them yet cuz I dont want to get jipped.

My greatest thrill is a cattleperson calling wanting to sell cattle off the farm. I know I can make money on them.[/quote]

Make money on the "cows" or the "cowman"?? :lol:[/quote]

He hasn't a clue what you are talking about!!

Probably had one call from a dairy wanting to get rid of some bull calves for $.0000 and he bought 10 lost 9 and made $10 on that one,
Oppps forgot to figure in all the dex and benidrine he used on it, then it got foot rot and needed treatment, then jonhns, then every other imaginable disease that he is such an expert on. :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:

hopalong":1wzvzms0 said:
TexasBred":1wzvzms0 said:
kenny thomas My greatest thrill is a cattleperson calling wanting to sell cattle off the farm. I know I can make money on them.[/quote:1wzvzms0 said:
Make money on the "cows" or the "cowman"?? :lol:

He hasn't a clue what you are talking about!!

Probably had one call from a dairy wanting to get rid of some bull calves for $.0000 and he bought 10 lost 9 and made $10 on that one,
Oppps forgot to figure in all the dex and benidrine he used on it, then it got foot rot and needed treatment, then jonhns, then every other imaginable disease that he is such an expert on. :D :D :roll: :roll: :roll:

Only trying to get Baxter78 fired up. But I have probably bought 5,000 head in the last 20 years off the farm. Most have made money as a lot of people want cash and will sell for a little less. I also have orders
for them so I know what they will bring. Move them fast and you do not have to use the antibotics.

Latest posts