Best round baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I am contemplating getting a use round baler in the 4 ft. wide range. The question is which ones should I steer clear of and what type is best? I noticed that some are chain and some are belts Is there a preference? Hydrualic or electric tie? I notice in other fields around here some of the bales are rough lookin and some are very clean and square shouldered. Is this the baler or the Operator?

DustyH":1otnx50f said:
I am contemplating getting a use round baler in the 4 ft. wide range. The question is which ones should I steer clear of and what type is best? I noticed that some are chain and some are belts Is there a preference? Hydrualic or electric tie? I notice in other fields around here some of the bales are rough lookin and some are very clean and square shouldered. Is this the baler or the Operator?

Bales quality is most often an operator thing.

I have used a lot of different types.

The best one is the one that fits the budget, fits the tractor and works.

New - they are all pretty capable. You decide upon the options.

Used - it depends upon the maintenance they have received.

I have one round baler that has over 20,000 large bales through it and it keeps on ticking.

Colour is not a discriminator.

Bez+

The chain balers are very durable and bales in all kinds of hay and straw. Bales start very easy.

I'm not sure but, I don't think any body still makes chain balers.

The drawback with the chain balers is, rough on hay, like alfalfa, clover oats. and when chains wear out, expensive to replace. Bales aren't as tight as modern round. I have a old 846 NH that has baled over 15,000 bales and I still use it for grass hay.

I think for most cases a later model belt baler is best. If I were to buy a older cheap baler I would get a NH chain. Up here a decent shape chain baler is under 1,000 bucks.

We especially like our Vermeer 605M, although it doesnt make a 4ft bale, it makes a nice tight bale. I think it makes a 6ft bale, and they weigh about a ton. Vermeer has a really nice line of balers, and I think you would be satisfied with one. They are easy to operate and I custom round baled last year for my grandfather, and I was only 14 years old. So as you can tell they are easy to operate, hope this helps.

If you are looking for one try
http://www.tractorhouse.com Really nice site

We have two 850 chain balers. One had electric tie. I say had electric tie. It has been since changed to manual. The other was bought used and manual...that where they got the idea. The seliniod to replace for the electric tie was $50.00 canadian and the father in law did not want to spend that kind of money on a tiny box so he made it like his son's (my husband) baler.
I use the 850 on a 3020 JD tractor and the other 850 is on a 570 cockshutt. They bale everything, alfalfa, grass, straw,... sticks :shock: hats :shock: water bottles :shock: My husband likes the bales 13-15% moisture, then the alfalfa does not take to much of a beating. Will bale as high as 18% nicely.

The bale do not stay nice and round as the other balers but husband says its cause of the chains and not a real tight bale.

But what do i know i just run the baler.
Oh yeah if you can get one with an automatic oiler for the chains. works slick, unless you forget to shut it off.:shock:
We just use old engine oil in the oiler

DustyH":3jntz40b said:

Do a real close inspection. Check each bearing. Check the roller chains for wear. Check the cam followers on the hay pickup. I did not on a vermeer rebel 5400 took the dealers word for it. Bought it last October. Since then I have replaced the pick up teeth, two bearings , new sprockets and chains, and the cam bearings on the pickup. Now it bales just perfect. I really like the baler now, was really hating it for a while.

Vermeer. I've got an L. The M is a better baler but L does the job. I've also bought a new Vermeer disc bine and v-rake last year. Look around and compare. For the money there is a lot more steel in them. Deere,NH both do a great job. Put them side by side and you'll see the difference. As for smaller balers the rebel series by Vermeer are a good buy.

Not trying to steal someones thread, but there is a couple of Vermeer balers for sale near here, 605h and 504f. I never had any experence with a Vermeer before. Are those older models?

They are older one's. They will do the job. As with everything else...the newer ones tend to have the flaws of the older one's worked out,