Best Rock n' Roll Guitar - Freebird?

Help Support CattleToday:

How bout ZZTop, the Thunder Birds, also have to agree with Stevie Ray Vaughn, also liked CCR, Johnny Winter, Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers.

Pete Townsend was pretty good, too. Lots of good ones mentioned already but if I had to pick just one I'd go with David Gilmore of Pink Floyd. Used to listen to alot of heavy metal many years ago. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc.

Lammie mentioned Santana and Jeff Beck, also two of my favorites. Back about 30 years ago went to see Illinois-Michigan football game in Ann Arbor. Found out Santana was playing at Crisler Arena that night and managed to get tickets. Somehow got into an altered state of mind ;-) and was in heaven for the next two hours.

Somebody by Blue October its the only rock song they have but they did really well with it. Anything by Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Audioslave, Godsmack, Theory of a Deadman, Slipknock, Staind, Def Leppard, Seether, Buckcherry, Greenday, Hinder, Nickelback, Papa Roach, Santana, AC/DC, and a few others

dyates":32mkev16 said:
HOSS":32mkev16 said:
Can't forget Ted Nugent's Stanglehold. That feller sho nuff can play. Recordings don't capture his live sound or energy.

Pretty good shot with a bow too! I like his motto "You can't grill it til ya kill it!"

Good choice Hoss! That song will get the blood flowing in the morning.

Dyates, your right. He is a good shot and has a lot of common sense.

ALACOWMAN":1fuf3xif said:
Arnold Ziffle":1fuf3xif said:
I could listen to Layla, by Derek & the Dominoes (Eric Clapton) every day!
Duane Allman helped make that a great song to. hard to beat Billy Gibbons ol' the good old southern rock days i remember..... some of :p
Dickie Betts is pretty hard to beat, whether solo or with the Allman Bros.

:lol: Van, I wonder how many people reading this ever even heard of Uriah Heep? Saw them at Alexander Memorial Coliseum in Atlanta in '73 or '74. Earth, Wind, and Fire was the opening act. Or maybe it was Rare Earth as the opening. I forget.

ga. prime":1kcdlspm said:
:lol: Van, I wonder how many people reading this ever even heard of Uriah Heep? Saw them at Alexander Memorial Coliseum in Atlanta in '73 or '74. Earth, Wind, and Fire was the opening act. Or maybe it was Rare Earth as the opening. I forget.

Yeah, they never were real well known and weren't around as long as some others, but I was obsessed with them back in those days. Were they good in concert? Were you sober when you saw them? :lol:

Another band I listened to a lot back then was Wishbone Ash, though they weren't what you'd call heavy metal. Anybody remember them?

There is some youngun's on here that an't never heard of half the ones mentioned. Sure glad i an't never had one them altered states of mind. :lol2:

ga. prime":hr8tjf1u said:

I remember Uriah Heep. Foghat was good too. Saw Rush once they were extremely talented musicians.

When I was a kid, we all wanted to learn how to play Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin. Never did understand the lyrics...

Jogeephus":3ixmtk9i said:
ga. prime":3ixmtk9i said:

I remember Uriah Heep. Foghat was good too. Saw Rush once they were extremely talented musicians.

I still have a Uriah Heep 8 track. My kids pulled those down about a dozen years ago and asked what kind of movies they were. They thought 8 tracks were some type of video tape.

VanC":2es9hjzv said:
Pete Townsend was pretty good, too. Lots of good ones mentioned already but if I had to pick just one I'd go with David Gilmore of Pink Floyd. Used to listen to alot of heavy metal many years ago. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc.

Lammie mentioned Santana and Jeff Beck, also two of my favorites. Back about 30 years ago went to see Illinois-Michigan football game in Ann Arbor. Found out Santana was playing at Crisler Arena that night and managed to get tickets. Somehow got into an altered state of mind ;-) and was in heaven for the next two hours.

Somehow got into an altered state of mind ;-)

Did ya' now...teehee, teehee, teehee (I'm trying to emulate the munchy giggles here) 8)

Alice

iowafarmer":3izwf6jo said:
Somebody by Blue October its the only rock song they have but they did really well with it. Anything by Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Audioslave, Godsmack, Theory of a Deadman, Slipknock, Staind, Def Leppard, Seether, Buckcherry, Greenday, Hinder, Nickelback, Papa Roach, Santana, AC/DC, and a few others

Whoa, AC/DC...and Aerosmith! I will say, however, that I've now gone to books on tape when I drive...yeah, I hate to admit it, but it's true. I love dancing that music. There was a little dive close to where I lived several many years ago that would feature the "JukeJumpers." They did lots of AC/DC and Aerosmith...and ZZ Top...and, and, and...

That said, sometimes I'll pop in a ZZ Top or Stevie Ray... look down, and I'm driving about 90 mph. One of the reasons I went to books on tape... :oops:

Alice (who forgets there is cruise control) :p

One other thing...my 36 year old, 3rd grade teacher daughter, and her teacher buddies, are going to CrueFest this summer. Motley Crue I can take or leave, so I declined the invite. She's taking her 14 year old son and a couple of his friends. Bless their hearts...they'll be chaperoned by about 5 elementary school teachers. I love it!!!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Alice

Red Bull Breeder":2a9p6pvw said:
There is some youngun's on here that ain't never heard of half the ones mentioned. Sure glad i ain't never had one them altered states of mind. :lol2:

I'm 34 and I guess I missed all of this. I never listen to Michael Jackson or Modanna either. I didn't recognize any names except Ted Nugent, and Tom Petty. I have no idea what songs Ted played but know he had a show, is politically active and is a nutcase. I like aerosmith, zztop, and firehouse. The only other name in that time frame I can think of is Kiss.

Walt

I have no idea what songs Ted played but know he had a show, is politically active and is a nutcase.
:lol2: :lol2: Read the Ted Commandments? You might change your view of him. He uses what I call high energy in your face common sense political views and doesn't use politically correct speech when making his point. He has talked about running for governor.

Van, I wonder how many people reading this ever even heard of Uriah Heep?

Oh yeah, Easy livin and that one about doin the ranchers daughter, 2 a the best songs I can recall.

There's some old folks on here, too, that never heard of most of those mentioned. :lol:

Not exactly rock and roll, but I'd go with Leon MacCauliff .

Alice":18jegj18 said:
VanC":18jegj18 said:

Somehow got into an altered state of mind ;-)

Did ya' now...teehee, teehee, teehee (I'm trying to emulate the munchy giggles here) 8)

Alice

Perhaps I should have been more specific. Back in those days I would go for a 5 mile run and then do about 30 min of yoga excercizes before going to a concert. Really helped clear the mind. What did you think I meant? ;-)