Best places to run cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle":1kci85yp said:
dun":1kci85yp said:
tdc_cattle":1kci85yp said:
It has some advantages and disadvantages. We're just kind of tired of somethings and thinking about picking up and going.
Just SW MO or all of MO

If I had more acres I think I could do alright here. However there is to much competition from row crop farmers driving land prices up. It's not just that they have driven land prices up it's that if someone wants to sell something they start with one of 3 big operators and offer it to them. Usually nothing ever comes on the open market because one of the three has bought it before anyone else even knows it's for sale. They will pay $5k+ for land that still needs a thousand dollars an acre of improvements. They justify it by saying they bought $500 an acre land 30 years ago so it averages out.
Around where I live in North Alabama land is high, $5k range as you said. It is about to high to try and run cattle, but I love cattle. I think as mobile as were are these days, any where that has good land is not going to be to cheap.

kenny thomas":xwwws7lu said:
cowgirl8":xwwws7lu said:
I'm really really nervous. The area i'm in has the cheapest land around. Heard that a big place we almost bought in the 90s for 300 an acre (AND WE KICK OURSELVES EVERY TIME WE PASS THIS PLACE), just sold for 2000. Its like 300 acres, open grazing land SW of our place. Anywho, waste management bought it..........YES!!!! WM...Now, the guy says he's just putting cows on it but i'm suspicious. Of course he's not going to tell all the people around here he's turning it into a dump until he has all the permits. I have no idea what it takes to get a dump started or if people around have any say....Husband says we'll move if they do so our ranch may be for sale soon..... His father had a place in Garland and a dump was put uphill from him. Made his well unusable..
If Waste Management or any other company messed up his well he must be a multi millionaire. That just don't happen and be let go now days.
You'd think...he's a lawyer too. I think it was deemed safe, but who could drink it... This happened in the late 70s...before the big boom the dallas area had. His place sat next to where the new 190 toll road is now...

Stocker Steve":2xg1k8dh said:
Was some data published a while back saying the SE part of the US was a low cost calf producer. Short winters and higher rainfall made for overall cheap forage. But, prices seem lower there also.

Yes, prices are lower.

I'd look at Arkansas because it's west of the Miss and has some good ground while still having the rainfall you're used to.

RanchMan90":19ua0369 said:
Go where there's no oil, gas, industry, or jobs. That's where a paid for cow can pay for land. :2cents:

I'm already there, just tired of here right now. Tenn, ky, and co look like places I'd like to live

dave_shelby":xddxb7pd said:
I have toyed with MO, cheap land, wife's relatives live outside StL. Whats wrong?

Don't have the right last name is about what it comes down to.