Best place to sell cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I have about 25 head of steers and heifers weighing between 350 and 600 lbs that I'm fixing to sell and thought I would see where people have been having the best luck. I live in NE Texas and heard some guys going somewhere in OK and making more money on cattle and paying for the trip to haul them up there. ANy ideas on who you would use in the North/Northeast Texas area up into OKlahoma?

chadreed88":104k08ys said:
I have about 25 head of steers and heifers weighing between 350 and 600 lbs that I'm fixing to sell and thought I would see where people have been having the best luck. I live in NE Texas and heard some guys going somewhere in OK and making more money on cattle and paying for the trip to haul them up there. ANy ideas on who you would use in the North/Northeast Texas area up into OKlahoma?

OKC Stockyards.

the best place close to cooper would be to haul them to either of the paris sales.1 paris sale runs about 1200hd a wk.an i think id take them to that sale.you could haul them to winnsboro.i here they are pretty good right now.an you could even haul emm to emory.

Thanks for the reply but Paris sale has really gone downhill its poorly ran and cattle prices haven't been up much. The staff there is what I think most of the problem is with the sale. They are lucky to get 700 hd at a sale and most of the time its less than 500. I do like winnsboro the best the owner seems to be a real honest guy and they always have a great sale but seems prices are just down in our area right now. Thanks

Last week SOLA in Ada OK did a little better on avg than OKC,this week who knows? Ada would save you an hour each way.

It is not that much further up the road , Tulsa hase a nice big sale barn....

The market is in the dumps now. Many of my order buyer friends tell me that they just can not find anyone that wants to buy calves. Many are saying they are waiting to get out of October and the related health issues involved in handling fresh weaned cattle in October (warm days and cool nights + weaning stress = doctoring sick cattle). You might consider weaning the calves and backgrounding them and selling them through the NETBIO sale in Sulphur Springs. Contact Sulphur Springs Livestock for more information.

I have heard of East Texas producers taking cattle to OKC or to OKC West. It depends on what type of calves you have to sell. Bull calves and cattle with 1/4 or more Brahman influence will be discounted more at OKC than in East Texas.

You know, I have the opposite problem - I am trying to buy weaned calves to winter and cant find any that I like. Alot of sick looking skinny calves out there right now.

I do not want to buy from the sale barn but I have been trying to find some backgrounded weaned brangus steers to winter...I just cant find them and I dont want to go to the barns to get them.

I'd buy 40-50 steers right now if I knew where they were coming from, were uniform in age and conformation, were already weaned, and had records of their vacs.

I always take mine to the Athens Commission Sale. What are your thoughts on that sale barn? Emory & Willspoint are both pretty close for me also?

Greenhaw

I prefer Wills Point just because of the owner. All three markets run pretty close to the same on prices.

It seems that my cattle weigh more at WP, probably due to fewer cattle and not being packed in the pens as tight. Managing shrink is important.

Latest posts