Best outlet for buying good cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
This may seem like an incredibly naive question but if I wanted to buy some good cows and only one at a time as I could afford, where is the best place to do this? I really dont want to buy at the sale barn, crigs list seems sketchy too...Im looking for some good cross bred cows that will calve without trouble or help and be easy keepers... any ideas?

Where are you located, their is a web site Cattle Range that has a large assortment of cattle listed by private party, they are listed for one to several hundred head, go around to local businesses that deal with ag. products and get the word out what you would like to do, put ads in paper, go to local sale , meet the ranchers let them know what you would like to do. there is always someone out there that would help you out.

A-RRanch":26kczs40 said:
I am located between College Station and Navasota TX. I never thought about putting the word out at the feed store...
Run up to Bryan and get the word out at Producer's Co-op--especially over on the loading dock. This time of year, everyone in that part of the state will be coming in for fertilize, sprayer parts and herbicide.
Headed that way myself monday.

We do alot of business at the Co-op thats a good idea. I also have been looking at the CattleRange website as Cowboy43 suggested and I like this alot better than Craigs List lol!

I have used cattle range and livestock weekly. I have also called ranches directly. I have attended many auctions also. Some of them seem to be better than others. The special replacement auctions may work for you.

I have been looking on the College Station Craigs list, some prices dont look bad. It seems to me you would get more of a chance to see the cow and watch for issues then at the sale. I have bought and sold stuff on CL, some times you go out to see a "deal" and its junk or just does not fell right.

By the way, I am East of you on Hwy 105, If you find a good farmer with some easy calving, high milking, low stress, 3-5 year old cows, that just need to go at a good price, please let me know.. :D

Jason

Check with some salebarns around you and see if they have any consignment sales coming up. Sometimes they have special cow sales.

Salebarn would be my choice, if you can find someone that is selling out at a sale, your more likely to get a good cow at a good deal rather than paying 10 or 20% more just because they are not at the sale.

A-R, Saturday is your lucky day. Over 1200 head to sell in your backyard. The sale will be at Mid-Tex Livestock Auction (4 miles east of Navasota on Hwy 90).Go to: www.johnsoncattlemarketing.com for a complete listing of what is for sale. Looks like a lot of F1's (both Brahman x Hereford and Brahman x Angus) and Brangus females.

Even if you don't buy, go look.

A-RRanch":13m6pmik said:
This may seem like an incredibly naive question but if I wanted to buy some good cows and only one at a time as I could afford, where is the best place to do this? I really dont want to buy at the sale barn, crigs list seems sketchy too...Im looking for some good cross bred cows that will calve without trouble or help and be easy keepers... any ideas?
Brazos Valley Livestock has 50 young black and charolais selling today.....
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brazos-V ... ion=stream

Call 'em up.

Good relationships and getting the word out, as everyone else said. Here's my story:

I've put together a herd of about 225 cows in the past 2 years and started with 48 I found 30 minutes away on Cattlerange. Same rancher called me direct about 6 months later and we picked up 50 more from him. About 100 came by way of the two local sale barns - we made sure they knew we were looking for more and we got calls anytime small herd dispersals were coming in and head's up on their special cow sales. Add 25 retained heifers from our first calf crop and we are ready to put the bulls out with 225 head for a nice spring calving season next year.

Even though this all happened in NE Oklahoma, I go up to Navasota (from home in Houston) quite often to check out their sales and Greg seems to work very well with the local cattlemen up there.

denvermartinfarms":7whg8ukr said:
Salebarn would be my choice, if you can find someone that is selling out at a sale, your more likely to get a good cow at a good deal rather than paying 10 or 20% more just because they are not at the sale.

Or an estate going thru. Seen some really nice deals when an estate is sold out.

A-RRanch":3oetgvx4 said:
For those of you that know the Navasota sale barns is one better than the other? Mid-Tex or Navasota Livestock?
I don't know about Mid-Tex because it was not there when I lived in the Navasota area back in the mid to late 1980's, but Navasota Livestock was a good place to sell cattle back then.

Latest posts