best old tractor for light farm work

Help Support CattleToday:

t-to-tur

Reaction score
I'm returning to my family farm after retirement from a "city" job. I'm mostly going to be doing pasture renovation and maintaining fire breaks in pine woods (location; south Georgia, U.S. A.). Bush hogging and light harrowing will probably be the main tasks. I don't have a lot of money to put into new equipment, so am interested in appropriate older tractors that can do the job. I've been told I should look for a 30-35 horse power tractor with a live PTO and hydraulic 3 point hitch. I'd like a 6 ft bush hog and am told a 20-25 hp tractor will bog with that size mower. Do any of you have opinions on the truth of any of this or a recommendation for a specific older model, general ag tractor? Thanks.

I run a 6 foot brush hog with my 30 horse kubota with no problems. The only thing I don;t liek about it is that it doesn;t have live PTO but you figure out ways to work around that. Make sure it has a loader too.

For what you want and need a tractor for the condition of the tractor is more important than make or model, or even size. Buy the best cared for used tractor that will suit your needs.

IMO, used smaller 20 -35 HP tractors are overpriced for what they are. For the same or not much more money you could probably get in to a 50 -60 HP tractor that will be better suited if you expand your operation or simply find a deal on bigger equipment than a smaller tractor could handle.

I'm thinking in no particular order of something like a Ford 5000, IH 656, JD 2510, Oliver 1555, MF 275, etc. You get the idea. Something big enough to handle your 3 point mounted implements but still a tractor small enough to be easy to get on and off and maneuverable.

All of these tractors would have modern conveniences like power steering and live PTO and still be a simple tractor you can fix most anything needs fixing yourself. Preferably a diesel but if a good gas model came up and you don't use it a lot gas would be fine.

Also, all of the tractors mentioned would be a good loader tractor, with the exception of the MF. Good luck!

We have had a Ford 2000 + Ford 3000 for over 25 years that have never been overhauled . The 2000 is geared high for some task with no power steering . The 3000 has the trusty 8x2 transmission thats got a gear for most light farm work but no power steering . Both have been serviced well and tach's havent worked in 10 years - sure they have over 5000 hours each - just routine maintenance and wear parts replaced

- Just acquired a New Holland/Ford 5030 last year - its a no "frills" tractor - we hope less to go wrong / but a good size/weight for what we do - Pulls a 10ft bush hog no problem

I would look for something like a 5000 ford or 2030 jd. The main thing I would stay away from is any tractor that has the loader hydraulics plugged in to the remotes.

dun":3kaexm5k said:
I run a 6 foot brush hog with my 30 horse kubota with no problems. The only thing I don;t liek about it is that it doesn;t have live PTO but you figure out ways to work around that. Make sure it has a loader too.
What model Kubota doesn't have a live pto? I've never herd of such a thing.

denvermartinfarms":lu5025in said:
dun":lu5025in said:
I'ld have to check and it's cold. It's an older kubota that's all I know. It was interesting when I asked the guys at the kubota dealer about live PTO they had no idea what I was talking about.

dun":13ol9pkf said:
denvermartinfarms":13ol9pkf said:
dun":13ol9pkf said:
I'ld have to check and it's cold. It's an older kubota that's all I know. It was interesting when I asked the guys at the kubota dealer about live PTO they had no idea what I was talking about.
We've had about every age and size of Kubota there is and they have all had a live pto. That's interesting.

denvermartinfarms":g9s4fitf said:
dun":g9s4fitf said:

A twenty year old L2550.

fitz

I've used a Fordson Major Diesel a lot on a 6' rotatry mower. No live PTO can get kind of hairy if you don't think ahead and leave yourself a way out. :help: I broke the exhaust off once when I hit a tree. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would recommend a 30 HP tractor/6' mower combination only on smooth ground with moderate growth.

The 6' mower was a big plenty for the Major both weight and powerwise, especially in the road ditch or in weeds higher than the hood.

Kubota has since taken over the mowing job too. ;-)

fitz":1qzo03pm said:
denvermartinfarms":1qzo03pm said:
dun":1qzo03pm said:

A twenty year old L2550.

fitz
Ok thanks. I've got a 1993 7950 and we had a 2850 a little older than that and they both have live pto's. The only tractors I've ever been around that didn't were from the 40s and 50s I had never herd that there was ever a Kubota without live power.

Mine is a 1994 L2900. Went out in the snow to check. The data says for PTO Independent, don;t know what that means unless that is the non-live PTO

There is NO best light / old tractor out there.

It depends on the condition and how YOU treat it.

Heck there is the Massey 35, 135, Ford 9N and a whole bunch more.

Find one that is in good shape and priced right - and treat it right - they last forever

Bez

dun":7ocdlhpd said:
Mine is a 1994 L2900. Went out in the snow to check. The data says for PTO Independent, don;t know what that means unless that is the non-live PTO
Those are good tractors, we had a 1997 L2900 4x4 shuttle shift with a loader and it was a very nice little loader tractor. Ours had live power though.

Independent PTO means that it runs independent of the transmission and clutch. This is the best setup as you have PTO power whenever you want it no matter what your doing with the clutch.

chevytaHOE5674":3fq2v8uq said:
Independent PTO means that it runs independent of the transmission and clutch. This is the best setup as you have PTO power whenever you want it no matter what your doing with the clutch.
Then mine doesn;t have it. What you're describing would be a live PTO. Mine when the clutch is in the PTO stops, what a pain.

A "transmission PTO" is a single stage clutch tractor that the PTO is driven from inside the transmission. So if you push in the clutch the transmission stops and so does the PTO. Example of this would be a Ford 8N.

When the term "live PTO" started being used it was on tractors with a 2 stage clutch. Push the clutch in halfway and forward movement stops but the pto keeps running, push the clutch all the down and both movement and PTO stop. Example of this is a Ferguson TO-35 with optional live power.

So then they invented the independent PTO which is generally driven off a crankshaft mounted hub and a shaft that goes through the clutch plate and is actuated by a hydraulic clutch pack farther down the line. This gives you PTO operation that is independent of the transmission and clutch. Example of this would be a ford 5000.

Might find a bargain if you look outside the box! I found a 6206 Deutz. It's about a '72. power steering, differential lock, diesel, direct injection. Starts real easy all through the winter and never plugged in. Easy on fuel. Not much bigger then a 9N ford. No trouble in 14 years.