Best of the best.

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Neighbor took his calves to town and received the acclamation of highest priced group of 6-weight steers in all of Canada for this week. Heartland Livestock Auction in Swift Current, SK had claimed it for this week, up until today

616 lbs avg Steers pre vac $2.5275 (works out to $1220 US per head)

DNzoyn9WAAE6eqK.jpg

Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.

That is probably a tad higher than what we are getting at the moment but they are on the improve especially if the season continues to improve.

Ken

wbvs58":2ya8rern said:
Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.
Ken

A fed buyer is a happy buyer. Wind was blowing hard with snow so temp in the ring area was just above freezing. Heaters couldn't keep up.

High side of the market here, would have made those calves about $880. Redneck calves like those, wouldn't have hit that mark. Nice pen of calves though.

Stocker Steve":xeth6g5l said:
Nesikep":xeth6g5l said:
Even with some roan on their backs!

They weren't black?

Black cattle are getting rare in this area, I was talking to a few guys about it and they noticed it too. Almost more Herefords than Blacks. Far more Charolais cross than anything. If you ask a lot of guys why, it's because they don't like black cows and don't want black in their herd.

Walking through the sales pens, for every 5 calves here, 2 are Char cross, 1 is Hereford, 1 is Simm cross, and 1 is Red or Black Angus. It's like the 80's all over again - even Shorthorns are slowly coming back.

Aaron":3mz5xnkt said:
Stocker Steve":3mz5xnkt said:
Nesikep":3mz5xnkt said:
Even with some roan on their backs!

They weren't black?

Black cattle are getting rare in this area, I was talking to a few guys about it and they noticed it too. Almost more Herefords than Blacks. Far more Charolais cross than anything. If you ask a lot of guys why, it's because they don't like black cows and don't want black in their herd.

Walking through the sales pens, for every 5 calves here, 2 are Char cross, 1 is Hereford, 1 is Simm cross, and 1 is Red or Black Angus. It's like the 80's all over again - even Shorthorns are slowly coming back.
I might have to move out that way to be with like-minded folk.. buyers especially.

Nesikep":1v6z1oqz said:
Silver":1v6z1oqz said:
Nesikep":1v6z1oqz said:
I might have to move out that way to be with like-minded folk.. buyers especially.

You don't have to go that far, just the other slope of the mountains.
I'm on the same side of the mountains you are!

No, I'm on the East side, not too far from Alberta really.

wbvs58":3wd3lzcz said:
Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.Ken

Seems like a dangerous place to eat. All it takes is one good tail whip and there goes your food.

Aaron":29fau3mm said:
Neighbor took his calves to town and received the acclamation of highest priced group of 6-weight steers in all of Canada for this week. 616 lbs avg Steers pre vac $2.5275 (works out to $1220 US per head)

U$S 198 cwt seems really high.
Maybe we should be shipping calves north, rather than south, for the winter.
What do you think was the reason for a record price?

Bestoutwest":21yvu5is said:
wbvs58":21yvu5is said:
Those fellows in the front row seem too intent on feeding their faces than buying cattle.Ken

Seems like a dangerous place to eat. All it takes is one good tail whip and there goes your food.

It is deceiving from the photo but the buyer row is about a good 2 feet higher than the backs of those calves. Only time a problem arise is when a 'loose' cow coughs or when a testy bull raises his head and blows his nose into your coffee. :D

Stocker Steve":1jo5uask said:
Aaron":1jo5uask said:
Neighbor took his calves to town and received the acclamation of highest priced group of 6-weight steers in all of Canada for this week. 616 lbs avg Steers pre vac $2.5275 (works out to $1220 US per head)

U$S 198 cwt seems really high.
Maybe we should be shipping calves north, rather than south, for the winter.
What do you think was the reason for a record price?

The Eastern feedlots tell us the best calves in the country are from here. Genetics are the same as Western cattle, but being so isolated means we don't sell sickly trader cattle. There was even an article in the provincial beef magazine where the biggest feedlot in Ontario said our calves are the best and worth a premium over Western calves.

Many of the feeder cattle here are sold with specially branded 'Rainy River Raised' tags and we hear from feedlots on a regular basis that the calves with those tags were the best pen they had on feed, etc.

Nesikep":1kfwlknw said:
I'm on the east side of the coast mountains.. not the rockies though.. I thought you were around Williams lake?

No, me and Santa are neighbours up here in Peace River country :D