Best of craigslist hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably about to catch hel. But it won't be the first time.
I've always had a few horses. I don't compete with them. I don't breed them, I don't sell them. I just enjoy them. You'll see things on horseback you'll never see on a atv. When it gets real muddy you can go check things without tearing up the place.
I've never paid a dollar for a horse. I've never paid extra to feed them. The eat the same hay as the cows. They love Milo and haygrazer. Never feed them any grain. They eat from the same protein tubs as the cows. Range cubes are great horse feed.
Only time I've ever had a horse colic, was on fertilized high quality coastal hay. Lucky I guess. :cowboy:
The only thing I do pay extra for, is farrier. I build fence for a living, and shoeing a horse is the most back breaking work I've ever done

fenceman":omnsbsqx said:
Probably about to catch hel. But it won't be the first time.
I've always had a few horses. I don't compete with them. I don't breed them, I don't sell them. I just enjoy them. You'll see things on horseback you'll never see on a atv. When it gets real muddy you can go check things without tearing up the place.
I've never paid a dollar for a horse. I've never paid extra to feed them. The eat the same hay as the cows. They love Milo and haygrazer. Never feed them any grain. They eat from the same protein tubs as the cows. Range cubes are great horse feed.
Only time I've ever had a horse colic, was on fertilized high quality coastal hay. Lucky I guess. :cowboy:
The only thing I do pay extra for, is farrier. I build fence for a living, and shoeing a horse is the most back breaking work I've ever done
That is good common sense. Unfortunately it is not the norm for horse folks. I've seen horses eating baled corn stalks and at least surviving. Nothing was expected of them other than to survive until spring so it worked well. Have seen hundreds of horses eating round bales and doing great. Unfortunately it is the mind set of so many of the weekend cowboys that my horse has to have horse hay, the hottest $20 a bag horse feed I can buy, an aluminum trailer to travel in being pulled by a huge truck...and all he does most of the time is lay under the nearest tree and dose, gain weight and die young. :nod:

greybeard":14b8vvxx said:
One of the local hay guys told me he can make X2 the $$ selling hay to horse folks as compared to cow people--especially small sq bales. That's where the $$ is around here with all them city folks moving out and hobby farming a few goats and a couple of horses Don. It might take them a few months, but they'll pay $200 for sq bales for what I could only get $50 in a round bale--it's why I kept my square baler."

If I had the time and the patience I could make good money doing this. Square bales are going for $3-4 a bale picked up out of the field, and rounds go for $30-40. I could sell my hay in square bales and buy rolls and come out ahead.

greybeard":1mbs442a said:
One of the local hay guys told me he can make X2 the $$ selling hay to horse folks as compared to cow people--especially small sq bales. That's where the $$ is around here with all them city folks moving out and hobby farming a few goats and a couple of horses Don. It might take them a few months, but they'll pay $200 for sq bales for what I could only get $50 in a round bale--it's why I kept my square baler."

That is a fact up here too! Last two years, a couple local guys have just killed it doing small squares. Wouldnt even hook up to the round baler.

highgrit":rwm678wr said:
Some folks will do anything for a dollar. Life's to short, and who needs the extra aggravation.
As long as it's legal not a dam thing wrong with it. Guess that's how we got the 1% and the 3%....some would rather have five bucks in their pocket and sit on their a$$. Happy as a pig in shyt.

My neighbor will cut the first cutting, rain or shine, to get it off the field so he can get a good second and third cutting in small squares. He has horse people waiting for hay, and some will come pick it out of the field for him. He's in his late 70s so I go help when I see him picking bales off the ground by himself, and those bales can't weigh 20 lbs. But they're nice and green, and those horse people love it. If I had the ground he does, I'd do the same thing. He does the first cutting in round bales, feeds what he needs to his cattle and sells some too. 2nd and 3rd cutting goes into small squares and he sells every one.

There is one hay I would specify as cattle hay. Klein hay is supposed to be toxic to horses and goats. My cows love it. Getting 5.5X6 bales for $60...... lovin it.

Just saw this posted, not sure how they will load it but looks like a bargain

https://www.vci-classifieds.com/#796161

30678-hay001.jpg

TexasBred":2coizcsq said:
Sky you're a good builder. You need to build one of these straw bale houses next. I know a guy who built one for his employees to live in....something to behold. He used wheat straw square bales and covered them with stucco.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/green-ho ... jzgoe.aspx

Thats pretty darn cool...Heck id try to build one out in the woods as a hunting shelter.

skyhightree1":glkrm656 said:
TexasBred":glkrm656 said:
Sky you're a good builder. You need to build one of these straw bale houses next. I know a guy who built one for his employees to live in....something to behold. He used wheat straw square bales and covered them with stucco.

Thats pretty darn cool...Heck id try to build one out in the woods as a hunting shelter.

I've heard there are some in New Mexico close to a hundred years old and still in excellent shape. Covered with stucco and being baled tight it would be almost impossible to burn. Heating and cooling should be easy too.

TexasBred":3swbzn97 said:
skyhightree1":3swbzn97 said:
TexasBred":3swbzn97 said:

I've heard there are some in New Mexico close to a hundred years old and still in excellent shape. Covered with stucco and being baled tight it would be almost impossible to burn. Heating and cooling should be easy too.

Nice... I would love to see the inside of those

Latest posts