Best Mexican/Texixan food- Callmefence

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I was a kid working pool construction.
They had a "Discado" plow disc with the hole welded up.
They'd throw in beef, chicken, pork onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, corn, maybe rotel, I'm not sure what all.
You'd get a homemade tortilla and scoop it full and roll it up.
Best I ever had

That's what the local amigos call a "whatever". It's not on the menu at the good local joint, but if you ask for it, it's a he// of a meal.

Cross-7":1hpbebk1 said:
They'd throw in beef, chicken, pork onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, corn, maybe rotel, I'm not sure what all.
Best I ever had
Had the same thing lots of times when I lived/worked in Tom Green County, but the 1st time I did was in the mid 80s down in S. Texas near Freer. We called that "discado" a West Texas Wok.
That's big business nowadays making and selling those woks, & I've seen them made from discs and other times from the ends of old butane/propane tanks. The thicker ones really hold the heat.
Lots of times there's no set recipe, just a Mexican pot luck kind of thing..whatever they have left over from the week or what each has in the fridge they want to use.

Cross-7":1f3ru29l said:
Best I ever had

They call that a parilla around here.

Early in my "fence" career I spent a few years as a supervisor on large commercial projects. Prison's, power plants etc. Spent 6 days a week in a motel with my crew of a half dozen Mexicans. We always could keep most of our food per diem. The Mexicans could feed a half dozen people very good food, on very little money.

Most of the time its for show. I would just as soon have a well seasoned skillet.

If you want something tasty, have some true Mexicans cook you up a cows head in a steel trash can.

callmefence":1s9wk0ib said:
bird dog":1s9wk0ib said:
Most of the time its for show. I would just as soon have a well seasoned skillet.

If you want something tasty, have some true Mexicans cook you up a cows head in a steel trash can.

Barbacoa

Dig a 3-4' hole, fill it full of mesquite and burn it down to the coals.
Build another mesquite fire next to the hole and let it burn down to the coals.
Take the cows head and wrap it in a couple or three wet tow sacks.
Put a sheet of tin over the coals in the hole, put the cows head on the tin then cover it with another piece of tin and shovel coals on top of the tin.
Put a piece of tin over the hole and cover it with dirt.
Stay up all night drinking beer and telling lies.
Dig it up the next morning and have the best tacos you've ever tasted

callmefence":t6hzdcwi said:
bird dog":t6hzdcwi said:

Barbacoa
Fence use to have a good mexican food place years ago in Belton. Haven't been through there in ages so probably gone by now.

My Mexican helper would put the trash can on a gas stove in his kitchen with about 3" of water in the bottom. Put a haydock block in the bottom and set the head on it. Turn on four burners on and let it stew to where the water was simmering and steaming. Don't remember how long it took but the meat would easily scoop off the bone. Wrapped in tortilla's with a jalapeno slice or two and maybe a little salsa.

Hard to beat. It sure beat what came off the food truck.

My wife does some pretty good Mexican style dishes. Lots of times for a meal she will mix whatever meat she has in with peppers, black beans, kidney beans, salsa or sometimes Ro Tel, and adds cheese and or sour cream and puts it on a tortilla or over tortilla chips.
One of my favorites is a breakfast tortilla with sausage or ham, with bell and jalapeno peppers, and salsa.

ALACOWMAN":w8sbuk9f said:
Ky hills":w8sbuk9f said:
One of my favorites is a breakfast tortilla with sausage or ham, with bell and jalapeno peppers, and salsa.
That and a couple cups of coffee, will clean house.

Yes sir, and I forgot the eggs as one of the main ingredients in it too.

Latest posts