best mamma cow

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
wich is the best mamma cow beefmaster, simm, or braunvie. and why and would these three make a good cross wich way would you do the cross between these cattle and why. thanks for all replies

In my opinion Beefmaster cows are the best. However, BeefmasterXSimmental is an excellent cross. Dont know anything about Braunvieh, thats one breed i havent tried out.

I forgot to give you my 'why'. MY why is largely because i need cows with a little brahman influence to deal with the bugs, heat and humidity and/or drought and also i just like eared cattle. the beefmaster has all the positive brahman characteristics (and are extremely gentle) that i need, the rustling ability of the hereford and the fertility and maternal traits of the shorthorn (basically an angus, lol.) i would personally rather have a large percentage of british breeding in my brood cows than continental because moderate sized cows are more economical, and from my experience tend to be more fertile (b/c they dont have to maintain a large frame, they can put more energy towards their calf and rebreeding.) i prefer to use continental breeds as terminal sires.

ive had experience with a lot of your more common breeds and basically the only ones ive found to be worth keeping as mamma cows in and under my conditions are beefmaster, brangus, angus, and brahmanxhereford f1s. i wouldnt mind buying some hereford cows (they are cheap here) and putting a brangus bull on them though. We got away from the hereford years ago b/c of pinkeye and cancer eye, but with the beefmasters we are having more hereford blood show back up in the calves and have been pleased. we have been using beefmaster bulls since 91 but use angus, simmental, charolais, and LimAng from time to time on beefmaster cows. its easy to stretch out calves with the right bulls and still have a medium size cow.

Beefy":1lof3wpy said:
i wouldnt mind buying some hereford cows (they are cheap here) and putting a brangus bull on them though. We got away from the hereford years ago b/c of pinkeye and cancer eye

when purchasing herefords, look for those w/pigment around the eyes. it doesn't have to be goggle-eyes, just some pigment will pretty much eliminate pinkeye & the occurence of cancer-eye in the pigmented cows is much lower as well.

Years ago we had a cow that had pigment around both eyes, not hair, just the eyelid type of pigment. One eye had a narrow strip of unpigmented skin about 1/2 inch wide. The flys would be lined up and stacked up on that white patch, but not be in the pigmented area.

dun

txag":24erho1e said:
Beefy":24erho1e said:
i wouldnt mind buying some hereford cows (they are cheap here) and putting a brangus bull on them though. We got away from the hereford years ago b/c of pinkeye and cancer eye

when purchasing herefords, look for those w/pigment around the eyes. it doesn't have to be goggle-eyes, just some pigment will pretty much eliminate pinkeye & the occurence of cancer-eye in the pigmented cows is much lower as well.

I will naver crossbreed a Beefmaster (tomuch diffferent breeds in it) but I will cross Simmental and/or Braunvieh cows to Brahman or Nelore (less ear) Bulls( if you don't need Brahman influence cross them with Angus) later crossbred them with a terminal breed bull let say Charolais or Limousin
cleav":132qsuc6 said:
wich is the best mamma cow beefmaster, simm, or braunvie. and why and would these three make a good cross wich way would you do the cross between these cattle and why. thanks for all replies

Latest posts