Best LH cross for momma's?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bro

Reaction score
If I wanted to cross longhorns with a heavy milking beef breed for an F1 momma cow, what would be the best breed for this cross?
Not Charolais, because Charolais will be the terminal cross for the market calves off the F1's.
Any thoughts?
Trying to plan ahead for something to do in my retirement.
:D :D

I would highly suggest Red Poll. One of the highest milking beef breeds today.

I'm sure a number of breeds would work well in this situation. I would look through a few different breeds you like, and find a bull with real good maternal/milk EPD's that has some thickness and that is put together well. Longhorn cows are typically more moderate, so you might try a bull with some size to him, but not too big that you would have any calving issues.

Just remember that half of the cross output will be bull calves and you are going to take a hit on them. That is where I am now.

I don't know enough to give advice on this so I'll post it as a question. Wouldn't a British breed such as Hereford, Angus or Shorthorn be better for heterosis? Since he wants to use a continental (Char) for a terminal. I would think Shorthorn would be the best for the situation he described.

Walt

Ryan":22vdhl84 said:
I'm sure a number of breeds would work well in this situation. I would look through a few different breeds you like, and find a bull with real good maternal/milk EPD's that has some thickness and that is put together well. Longhorn cows are typically more moderate, so you might try a bull with some size to him, but not too big that you would have any calving issues.

Exactly why I would suggest Red Poll.

Txwalt":15jfb1eg said:
I don't know enough to give advice on this so I'll post it as a question. Wouldn't a British breed such as Hereford, Angus or Shorthorn be better for heterosis? Since he wants to use a continental (Char) for a terminal. I would think Shorthorn would be the best for the situation he described.

Walt

Once again another reason to use Red Poll. Probaly the most pure british breed which will give the heterosis.

T-Bro

You have to decide how much of a hit you are willing to take for future gain.

There are many milking herefords that would do well. But a hereford isnt going to give you a consistant looking calf crop the buyers are looking for.

Angus will get you alittle closer but then BA arnt known for being heavy in the muscle area. LH X angus Think holstein....

Simmental would get you closer to black but the cows may get alittle big for your world, ask around. But simmies will add muscle and there are again some that milk very well.

I would go gelbvieh myself.
Got a guy up the road, that uses gelbvieh longhorn and angus as a three way cross. He does really well.
Of course around here you can get good LH cows for 300 or so.
So its hard not to make money if you have a plan.

MD

Go with Beefmaster on the Longhorn for a good cross to produce some good milking females. You shouldn't take much of a hit on the bull calves if any at the sale barn. We cross them and do well with them, there are several other folks around here that swear by that cross. Use a solid colored dun or red Beefmaster bull on the Longhorn cows and you'll get a good, growthy calf. Before the naysayers all start chiming in, this is not to try to fool anyone but just to protect your self from the buyers who will use color to get your calves as cheaply as possible. You know, when you really think about it, how many calves actually go through a sale barn that the buyers really know what their breeding is? Most you can only guess what they are made up of, this cross is the same way. It's doubtful that you'd be able to guess that the cross is Longhorn and Beefmaster. This cross takes some of the ear off and there's nothing really Longhorn looking about it to give it away. The Beefmaster female was and is bred to be a good milk producing cow.