Best knot for HT barbed wire

Help Support CattleToday:

david1852

Reaction score
I'm putting up new barbed wire fences and will have to join HT barbed wire. Which knot is the strongest, figure 8 or reef knot?

Thanks

It's not a knot but I have been using gripples a lot lately. They are fast and if you ever need to tighten up the wire it's easy to.
There was a discussion on gripples a few months ago. @callmefence can tell you from an expert's perspective. As for me and my lazy butt, I keep a variety of Gripples and a tensioner on my side by side at all times.

You mean splice... LoL

Which ever one you like the best.
I personally prefer the western Union if I have to use a knot. You need to spread the wraps out more on HT.
I use gripples as well.
You'll see very few failure's if you only use it to splice. Failure's increase when you start using it to stretch.

Crimps are probably the best option for weekend warrior. Strong and simple.
Fwiw.... which ain't much...
Nrcs only allows western Union , reef,and crimps...no gripples

I've been using Gripples for a couple years and they are great!

The reason I was asking about the best knot for HT barbed wire is I was running a little short on Gripples because my order was delayed. Joining the wire with knots and using the Gripples I have when tensioning will let me finish the fence without having to wait on my order to get here.

I finished part of the fence today and used the reef knot to join the wire a couple times . The knot tightened and held just fine when tensioning tight.

Thanks to all that replied.

This is what I have always used. I don't know how it holds long term, but it will not slip.

Linemans/western union splice probably works well, but I've found it difficult to get really tight wraps that won't slip, especially with HT. Even ones that look decent are easily pulled apart by the goldenrod.

In the photo you can see a crappy linemans below that has loosened up from someone else's repair.

Attachments

• PXL_20201216_160308587.jpg
    PXL_20201216_160308587.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 79
This is what I have always used. I don't know how it holds long term, but it will not slip.

Linemans/western union splice probably works well, but I've found it difficult to get really tight wraps that won't slip, especially with HT. Even ones that look decent are easily pulled apart by the goldenrod.

In the photo you can see a crappy linemans below that has loosened up from someone else's repair.
I don't see anything I'd call a lineman's/western Union. The looped splice on top will cause a serious weak spot if pulled tight. Which it's not.

Last edited:
😉Will a crimp work for old wire that you cant twist any more? Is one brand of crimps or tool any better than the other?
Crimps about the only thing that'll work on old brittle wire. Gripples don't like Rusty pitted wire. Course the real soultion is to replace the wire. You know ...if your gonna do it do it right.
😉

I don't see anything I'd call a lineman's/western Union. The looped splice on top will cause a serious weak spot if pulled tight. Which it's not.

It's as tight as it needs to be for that repair. Any tighter and you start finding more weak spots, leads down a rabbit hole.

Do you strip all the barbs off the end to make the knot you pictured? I'm no expert, posted more to learn myself than to show everyone how to do it.

I'm guessing you use a fencing pliers to hold it in the middle, and then use another pair to grip the wire as you tie it around? Biggest trouble I have is getting those wraps super tight and neat.

Latest posts