Best implement to clean up cleared land ?

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
We recently cleared land and have burned most everything we can . besides picking up lots of sticks by hand ugh .. 50 acres . Nothing i've tried yet has been real effective . landscape rake , plowing/discing in , and a land leveler .

Been doing the same thing myself...tried several things and the thing that has worked best for me was a landscape (york) rake. Remove every other tine(big thank you to NonTypicalCPA) so the dirt flows through better. I set rake to kick trash out the right hand side. Up the field then back again to form a nice window of debris. Then I would straddle the window with tractor/fel and kids would through debris in bucket. A day or 2 of that and i went and bought a couple 10 tine pitchforks(silage fork). They pick up the bigger stuff, but the majority, they can just fork into the bucket easy peasy. One picks the big stuff, one or 2 will work silage forks. Worked all day doing this and snapped a few pics. Will try to post later.
I have tried several things, including a chisel plow with all the tines evenly spaced about 10" on the back row. Ended up having too much debris flow through. Tried chain drag...just gums up with debris quickly. Have covered many acres just picking by hand...slow and kids start hiding out from me on the weekends.

Brute 23":1cl0pzxk said:
Why do you need to pick that stuff up?

To level it a harrow will work. They have some with fold up wings and hydraulic lift. You could drag it and probably make wind rows with what ever small stuff you hang up.

If you want to drill seed, got to have it somewhat clean. We deep tilled everything in the fall, but still lots of debris popped to the top over winter.

Brute 23 wrote:

Im not sure I do .. Just thought it should be more finished before we seed it for pasture . My plan is to plant brown top millet in may to hold ground together until its time to plant fescue in the fall.

Thanks BBall I'll try that tomorrow with the rake. your well ahead of me . Looks great

You may not get perfect planting where it hops a stump but some of that just has to rot. As long as it doesn't tear up equipment it should be good.

One of the hydraulic harrows will drag a lot out. Maybe too much.

When you think it looks good... it will rain and show a bunch more.

Brute 23":c7gf9lkd said:
You may not get perfect planting where it hops a stump but some of that just has to rot. As long as it doesn't tear up equipment it should be good.

One of the hydraulic harrows will drag a lot out. Maybe too much.

When you think it looks good... it will rain and show a bunch more

Amen to both of those Brute!

BobbyLummus1":212xl4el said:
Brute 23 wrote:

Im not sure I do .. Just thought it should be more finished before we seed it for pasture . My plan is to plant brown top millet in may to hold ground together until its time to plant fescue in the fall.

Thanks BBall I'll try that tomorrow with the rake. your well ahead of me . Looks great

Thanks Bobby. Your soil looks a bit heavier than mine in places. I hope it works for you too. Hoping to drill seed as soon as soil temperature comes up.
How are you going to plant the millet? Any lime yet?

I'm going to broadcast the millet . i have rented the no till from the county before but im afraid if i used it here id be buying it

lime is next , bulk lime priced at $50 a ton spread . gonna try and do 2 tons to the acre . it gets trucked in from Tennessee

I did 40 acres in 2009-2010, mostly with a landscape rake. I piled mine tho, not windrowed..then lit the match. If you use the landscape rake, do yourself a favor and go ahead and buy some extra tines.

Rock rake. Neighbors did it on 160 acres of 1/2 rock field. Worked great. They aren't the kind to start picking sticks by hand.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/tyaWgFc9xFE[/youtube]

Latest posts