Best idea for moving hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus,

The mirrors might help a little but i think what it is going to take along with them is to some how aircondition the hay feild and get the temp down arround 70 degrees for most of todays kids to get out there and haul hay.

When i first started baling the other day. I had just finished up the two out side wind rows as the wife pulled up with the truck and trailer. And she along with the two boys and our 11 year old girl got out of the truck. Now this was about 3 p.m. in the afternoon and real good and hot about 100 degrees probably about 110 with the heat index.

I was watching them waiting on them to pull in the feild and start loading. 8) Well instead they all start walking arround the edge of the feild ocassionally picking up a bale and sitting it back down. :roll: They continue to do this all the way arround the feild. So i stop and wait on them to see what is going on. When they walk up i ask what they are doing and they said they was just going to let me get a head of them. :roll:

So i said ok, i have about 100 bale head start on all of you so i think you can start and i can stay ahead. :lol: I told my wife that i thought maybe they were just strecthing their legs and maybe tring to warm up like the athlets do before pratcie or something ! :lol:

I told her that if that was the case that i thought they would be plenty warmed up and ready to go after about the first 10 bales got throwed on the trailer ! :lol:

I could tell it was going to be a long day from that point on ! :roll:

Stepper":svl2oicg said:
Jogeephus,

The mirrors might help a little but i think what it is going to take along with them is to some how aircondition the hay feild and get the temp down arround 70 degrees for most of todays kids to get out there and haul hay.

When i first started baling the other day. I had just finished up the two out side wind rows as the wife pulled up with the truck and trailer. And she along with the two boys and our 11 year old girl got out of the truck. Now this was about 3 p.m. in the afternoon and real good and hot about 100 degrees probably about 110 with the heat index.

I was watching them waiting on them to pull in the feild and start loading. 8) Well instead they all start walking arround the edge of the feild ocassionally picking up a bale and sitting it back down. :roll: They continue to do this all the way arround the feild. So i stop and wait on them to see what is going on. When they walk up i ask what they are doing and they said they was just going to let me get a head of them. :roll:

So i said ok, i have about 100 bale head start on all of you so i think you can start and i can stay ahead. :lol: I told my wife that i thought maybe they were just strecthing their legs and maybe tring to warm up like the athlets do before pratcie or something ! :lol:

I told her that if that was the case that i thought they would be plenty warmed up and ready to go after about the first 10 bales got throwed on the trailer ! :lol:

I could tell it was going to be a long day from that point on ! :roll:

I know what you mean. My 17 year old nephew was supposed to help paint my mothers house the other day. He started and then kept coming around to where I was and asking stupid questions to stall time. A little while later I went around the other side of the house to find him with an extension cord and fan blowing on him as he painted.

I never cut more square bales then I think I can handle by myself.

When I was in high school we would haul hay and the guys that were all buffed up from hanging out in the weight room couldn't hang with us country boys in the field.

AND they would always wonder why we would knock them flat on their backs on the football field when they put the big numbers up in the wieght room. A coach told one of them one day that their muscles were just for show.... :lol: That coach is one of the people we use to haul for. ;-)

curtis":3fke2zbn said:
Do it the old fashion way. Hire 3 teenage boys, one on trailer stacking and the other two picking them up and puttin them on the trailer.
That's how we did it years ago, it worked then , should work now.

You can say that again. I am 17 and I have been doing that for about 5 years. During hay season I get phone calls from all kinds of farmers I know wanting me to come help haul hay. Thats the way everyone does it around here. Unless you roll your hay I would do it buy hand, its alot cheaper to hire guys then to buy equipment just to haul square bales. And of course just use a tractor and spear for rolls.

Latest posts