Best Hybrid BMR Sudan

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Looking to try a different BMR Sudan x or hybrid to bale hay. Any recommendations? I need to plant 200 acres and need regrowth and tons. I use to use Turbo from Milborn seeds. Just to expensive 2.00 per pound. Thanks

I use to grow Pioneer 877f quite a bit, don't recall the $/lbs, but it was a very late maturing hybrid, and did well at high seeding rates, but was a bit slow recovering. 3-5 tons/acre year to year, with your heat, and if irrigating you could double that easily.

I was looking at that variety. I can't find a dealer anywhere close. I will keep looking. Did you add any N ? Did you bale it?

I did 200 pounds of urea when it was cheap, and 100 pounds when it was higher, along with 100# of potash. I baled everything dry, which it takes a long while to dry.

I posted recently (pictures of it over the cab of my tractor) about Gotcha Plus BMR late maturing SS from MBS Seed Co. in Denton, Tx. Currently going for $61 for 50#, my local farm store ordered it and got it with no shipping charges, and due to it's late maturing and small stems, 30#/AC is what I planted (and has sprouted) this year. This is the best seed I ever bought and produces some fabulous hay. The seeds are about half the size of regular Milo seeds resulting in lots of seeds per 50# bag.

If that interested, posting/pictures are on this site, from me, maybe a couple of weeks ago.

Texasmark said:
I posted recently (pictures of it over the cab of my tractor) about Gotcha Plus BMR late maturing SS from MBS Seed Co. in Denton, Tx. Currently going for $61 for 50#, my local farm store ordered it and got it with no shipping charges, and due to it's late maturing and small stems, 30#/AC is what I planted (and has sprouted) this year. This is the best seed I ever bought and produces some fabulous hay. The seeds are about half the size of regular Milo seeds resulting in lots of seeds per 50# bag.

If that interested, posting/pictures are on this site, from me, maybe a couple of weeks ago. On the NPK and baling, the crop uses at a rate of 3-1-2 ratio for NPK. Baled picture in my posting mentioned and yes I did it, and commented on what a mess it was for me to clean up working alone (volume was overwhelming).....but the reward was worth the effort. Didn't plan on it getting that tall but couldn't get a dry spell to bale.....but true to it's pedigree, stems were still small and being late maturing, no "boots showing" and still in the tender growth mode.

Texasmark said:

If that interested, posting/pictures are on this site, from me, maybe a couple of weeks ago.

We planted around 50 acres in a late maturity..(super sugar) and around 30 in the three-way cross tridan we've used for years. I'm not so sure the super sugar is a BMR. It is late maturity and everyone is raving about how good it did last season... we'll see.

So my question ..do you by into the BMR being better, why? I'm always somewhat sceptical to info put out by the seed company's.

Texasmark said:

Looks good! How well did it regrow ? Did what type of bales did you make? Tonnage per acre ? Thanks

callmefence said:
Texasmark said:

We planted around 50 acres in a late maturity..(super sugar) and around 30 in the three-way cross tridan we've used for years. I'm not so sure the super sugar is a BMR. It is late maturity and everyone is raving about how good it did last season... we'll see.

So my question ..do you by into the BMR being better, why? I'm always somewhat sceptical to info put out by the seed company's.

Some feed analysis are showing BMR varaties energy levels if cut pre boot stage rival that of corn.

Richnm said:
callmefence said:
Texasmark said:

Some feed analysis are showing BMR varaties energy levels if cut pre boot stage rival that of corn.

I didn't know about BMR till I got on the www and read numerous articles written by ag news media contributors. Some of the reports have all the data for what you get. So I decided to try it and really liked the results. The fertilizer dealer had it for sale and suggested his customers try it....good advice. I bought a MOCO this spring so this time around, I can cut and crimp in one operation which will really simplify the curing process vs what I had in 2014 and I won't worry about how tall it gets this time around.

On cutting pre-boot, if you can have a SS crop that is above the cab (96" or so cab height) and still in the growth stage with absolutely zero maturing plants, like is apparent in the pictures I posted, that's pretty awesome.

Richnm said:
Texasmark said:

Looks good! How well did it regrow ? Did what type of bales did you make? Tonnage per acre ? Thanks

You can see the cut date in the pictures. It was back up to about 12-15" or so by 4th of July when the Aphids hit me. Never had them before and worked with TAMU ag. research station at Overton, Tx. and state professional ag. folks in determining what had hit my crop. They have publications out on what and how and means of controlling....so it was a single crop for the year, but it made the year.

On how much and what it took and all that, I didn't keep any records....remember I'm a retired STO so it really doesn't matter to me. I'll just tell you that no matter what you had planted before, you won't be sorry with this SS seed if you are wanting SS for hay and plant it as you do the popular cheaper seeds and momma nature is on your side..... :bang:

Texasmark said:
Richnm said:
Texasmark said:

You can see the cut date in the pictures. It was back up to about 12-15" or so by 4th of July when the Aphids hit me. Never had them before and worked with TAMU ag. research station at Overton, Tx. and state professional ag. folks in determining what had hit my crop. They have publications out on what and how and means of controlling....so it was a single crop for the year, but it made the year.

On how much and what it took and all that, I didn't keep any records....remember I'm a retired STO so it really doesn't matter to me. I'll just tell you that no matter what you had planted before, you won't be sorry with this SS seed if you are wanting SS for hay and plant it as you do the popular cheaper seeds and momma nature is on your side..... :bang:

How many pounds per acre did you plant ? Did the cows clean it up ? I usually plant 100 pounds per acre. People are telling me that's to thick and reducing tillering and yield.

Richnm said:
Looking to try a different BMR Sudan x or hybrid to bale hay. Any recommendations? I need to plant 200 acres and need regrowth and tons. I use to use Turbo from Milborn seeds. Just to expensive 2.00 per pound. Thanks

AS9302 BMR Sudangrass has worked well in VA. It's not cheap to plant, but it churns out some high quality tonnage! We got ours through King's Agriseed dealer

Will add (after reading all the previous posts) that our tonnage was just under 4.5T/acre with a two cut system. We had an EXTREMELY dry Aug and September. Grazed the third cut. I'm guessing yield was in the 5-5.25T/ac of actual DM. Cows loved it and bred back extremely well on the haylage bales. Seeded at 30#/ac. 400# 10-20-20 @ planting and 100#Urea after first cutting. Followed that with triticale and cattle are currently grazing that. Probably have another 1.5-2 weeks of grazing left before burndown for 2020 Sudangrass!

Richnm said:
Texasmark said:
Richnm said:

How many pounds per acre did you plant ? Did the cows clean it up ? I usually plant 100 pounds per acre. People are telling me that's to thick and reducing tillering and yield.

I planted 50# (a bag) per acre using a 1960's year model, dual coulter JD drill on 7" row spacings for the crop in the pictures of the 2014 crop. I am not one to go nuts with fertilizer (nitrate poisioning is one reason, cost another). I do use TAMU soil test guidelines for what you have, what you expect to grow and expected yields, and what is needed for that to occur. Just followed their guidelines and wasn't all that much. I never planted more than 50#/acre, even with the popular SS seeds that the farm stores stocked for volume buyers. I have purchased SS hay when in need, seed type/planting quantity unknown but considering the source, probably the cheapest available, that was maybe 6' tall, fully headed out, stems coming in around the size of a quarter US dollar coin, and cows left most of it on the ground.

I didn't graze the stubble as I was after a second cutting and the Sugar Cane Aphids hit me, first time here, didn't know what was going on, wound up turning it under after I found out what had happened to the plants. Since 2014 they have been a regular visitor here hitting me around 4th of July. Controls are recommended by the ag. agents if you care to spray, like green bugs in wheat or other types of crop pests with which one has to contend.

[quote=callmefence So my question ..do you by into the BMR being better, why? quote

Sometimes BMR is better. It is always more expensive...

Higher TDN, lower tonnage, higher cost - - so better usually depends on what you feed it to.

I would consider planting BMR for stockers and dairy cows. I would plant standard for dairy heifers and beef cows.

Price is like 2x and planting rate can be reduced 40%, yield like 2x-3x, value immeasurable: Food value, higher efficiency per bale, reduced waste, digestibility.....If I didn't think it was worth your time to investigate I wouldn't have wasted it in the first place in posting about it! I got tired of putting up with what the local feed/seed stores sold for SS and was looking at other types of forage. None could compare, planted on my farm, to what I got when I tried this. So I thought I'd be nice and share my finding.

Texasmark said:
Price is like 2x and planting rate can be reduced 40%, yield like 2x-3x, value immeasurable: Food value, higher efficiency per bale, reduced waste, digestibility.....If I didn't think it was worth your time to investigate I wouldn't have wasted it in the first place in posting about it! I got tired of putting up with what the local feed/seed stores sold for SS and was looking at other types of forage. None could compare, planted on my farm, to what I got when I tried this. So I thought I'd be nice and share my finding.

Agreed! It's hard to beat. We looked up Sudangrass trials from several land grant university studies in our region, and found a variety that has turned out to be amazing! I'd recommend everyone to reach out to their extension agent to find local (as can be) data on variety trials for any forage you are thinking about planting. More than likely, the more expensive varieties yield the best results, but not always. I used to fall for whatever the coop offered, but rarely does our coop stock the "best" variety for the producer, but ALWAYS stocks the "best" variety for markup potential for the coop. Just my :2cents:

Latest posts