Best Herbicide for fence rows?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd say a mixture of roundup (for the grasses) and remedy (for the brush that roundup won't get). Both will get most weeds.

There was a product called pramitol that was supposed to leave bare ground for a year. I never used any so I don't know if it works as advertised, but might be worth looking into. It was reasonably priced.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve on your fence rows. If you are trying to kill off brush and broadleaf weeds then Remedy will work, but is pricey and has almost no residual value. Roundup is actually a bad choice as it will kill off the grass and eliminate the competition for weeds like Canada thistle, sage etc.
I would suggest Grazeon at about 2 liters/acre if only broadleaf weeds or 3 liters/acre if brush control is also needed. Another good product is Restore. Both DOW products. Both have good residual, no grazing restrictions, and "relatively" cheap.

Alberta farmer":zktpw2v9 said:
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve on your fence rows. If you are trying to kill off brush and broadleaf weeds then Remedy will work, but is pricey and has almost no residual value. Roundup is actually a bad choice as it will kill off the grass and eliminate the competition for weeds like Canada thistle, sage etc.
I would suggest Grazeon at about 2 liters/acre if only broadleaf weeds or 3 liters/acre if brush control is also needed. Another good product is Restore. Both DOW products. Both have good residual, no grazing restrictions, and "relatively" cheap.

Quite the point, if you have an electrified fence. You are right, using a product that achieves your goal is important.

I am actually looking for season long control of all types of vegetation. I am thinking about using Grazon on some pastures with a lot of brush and knappweed. What are experiences using Grazon?

hayray":bnlgklu2 said:
I am actually looking for season long control of all types of vegetation. I am thinking about using Grazon on some pastures with a lot of brush and knappweed. What are experiences using Grazon?
Grzon works well, but if you apply it a couple of years in a row it seems to keep anything from growing for a year or 2 afterwards.

hayray":1i977lwp said:
What herbicide offers season long residual and kills everything that grows?

hayray":1i977lwp said:

:? :?: I take it you really don't want to kill everything that grows. :?:

hayray":1hgqxx16 said:
What herbicide offers season long residual and kills everything that grows?

hayray":1hgqxx16 said:

:? :?: I take it you really don't want to kill everything that grows. :?:

The last couple years I've been using Extreme, it is a glyphosate product made for soybeans. It has enough residual to get through the year.

To emphasize one thing that was already mentioned. It will kill everything and the first thing to come back seems to be thistle. It's easy to keep getting a wider and wider strip of killed vegetation along the fence trying to take care of the thistle by spraying it while your spraying the fenceline. Ideally I would use Extreme or something similar under the fence and then come back and spray a wider path with Grazon. But since that is twice the work, I don't do it.

I have also used something called Oust that took care of things for 2-1/2 years. It may have been fine to use, but using something like that made me a bit nervous about what else I may be accomplishing that I didn't intend.

On the fence rows I am looking for something to kill everything. I will look up Oust. I talked to some people that said Pramitol did not work so good.

Latest posts