best heifer caught in hay ring. help.

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
got her out, both feet stuck in the bottom rings. both are bent inward now and swollen, she won't stand. i got her laying up but she was in shock when i got there. shes resting still sitting up now. i gave her la200, banamine, and b complex.

anything else I can do?

no open wounds i figured it would help with the swelling.

M-5":3cycc3ck said:
Dex for inflammation , LA 200 was not necessary imo if you don't have dex get some DMSO and rub them down good wear gloves tho

Seems no one uses predef 2x anymore I like the stuff - DDD Asprin should have been what you gave - no antibiotics if you don't have an anti inflammatory

i'll pick up some asprin and look for some dmso. we'll see what tsc has.

she's trying to getup.. but hooves are still swollen and crimped down. they are better then this morning though.

A feed store should have dmso. Not sure if tractor supply does. DO NOT GET IT ON YOU unless your are clean . It will carry anything you have on your hands thru the skin and tissue. BTW its is excellent for arthritis I use it all the time making sure I apply it with clean cotton balls.

M-5":1pbue0qn said:
A feed store should have dmso. Not sure if tractor supply does. DO NOT GET IT ON YOU unless your are clean . It will carry anything you have on your hands thru the skin and tissue. BTW its is excellent for arthritis I use it all the time making sure I apply it with clean cotton balls.

Wonderful stuff! Used it many, many times on horses. It is helpful for Arthritis. :) Fortunately I like the smell of garlic.

Workinonit Farm":1k2v1j7e said:
M-5":1k2v1j7e said:

Wonderful stuff! Used it many, many times on horses. It is helpful for Arthritis. :) Fortunately I like the smell of garlic.

put a good essential oil(I use cypress oil) in it and it fixes that. the oyster taste still happens tho . but I like oysters

tsc has the dsmo. i applied it liberally and made sure it was rubbed in good.

she has good strength still. hopefully she's better in the morning and i can get her to stand.

she couldn't get up and looked at me and started crying out both eyes.. i'm so upset. :(

ddd75":dnykjjnt said:

she has good strength still. hopefully she's better in the morning and i can get her to stand.

she couldn't get up and looked at me and started crying out both eyes.. i'm so upset. :(

It's always the nice ones that get themselves into trouble isn't it? Hope she gets better.

BTW, was it you or the cow that started crying?

I have arthritis, what is DMSO?
Also, what can be done to keep calves out of hay rings in the first place?

City Guy":3gl5uxi7 said:

Dmso is what many would call a solution or miracle to alot of ailments but unfortunately the drug companies have quashed any hope of getting it FDA approved because they can't make a profit off of it.
You can order it online. Plenty of of Internet material on it CG

City Guy":24xsizlb said:
DMSO is a by product of the plywood industry. It's a penatrent in as much as it penetrates the skin easily and is used frequently as a carrier to get some other form of medication to absorb. In theory it also has medicinal propertys by itself too. In the 80s it was considered by some to be a cure all. Like most magic bullets, some it helps some it doesn;t.

City Guy":28jstuou said:
Easiest way is to keep the hay ring full of hay ..

ddd75":2p6r12mt said:

So, how is she doing today?

well i went out this morning expecting a dead cow but to my surprise she was up standing!. I couldn't believe it.

Seems to be doing good, eating hay and mineral. I think she lost about 50 lbs and got some bottle jaw but thats already going down. I found her down later in the day and some blood was coming from her nose, but I got her back up and she's been fine since. I just checked her again before dark and she was eating mineral.

thanks to all for the great advice, I think that dsmo did the trick.

she was up still this morning. looks like she's already gaining weight back and is looking at lot better. all the other cows are all so worried about her, I think that really helped her out. They were all telling her to get up when I was. its amazing how smart they are.

Latest posts