Best grass for hay in East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

No not at all. Tifton 85 is a great grass. It is just very hard to get rid of the bahia. Another point is that you may want to reivaluate the bahia. Bahia is not all that bad a grass. You may want to do a search on it. CB seems to like it just fine. I know many others that grow it for hay and pasture. About 50% of my pasture is bahia and I have no complaint. Tefton and other grasses are great but you must put a pencil to it and see how long it will take to justify the expense. If you do plant another grass I personally see nothing wrong with a little bahia mixed in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
only problem with a little bahia is it turns into a lot of bahia pretty quick

Can anyone around East Texas tell me the best grass to plant for hay. I have Bahia in about an 8 acre pasture now, but would like a higher protein grass if possible.
Well your stuck as Bahia is king in east Texas.
You will be money ahead fertilizing and nurturing what you got.
Cause every bird that flies over your place will be crapping Bahia seed till the end of time.

I'm growing mostly coastal and common bermuda...makes some good hay when pastures are cared for (i.e. spray for johnson grass and/or broadleaf weeds). Got 64 positively big, beautiful round bales last year. Lasted all winter...still have about 8 or 10 bales left. Hitting the hay pastures with chicken litter this week or next...then praying for rain.

Boron in your trace minerals drives the roots deeper. Coastal roots can get on down to 8 and 9 feet deep. That is a huge advantage for drought in my part of TX. My soil tests have always said I did not need mineral added. Mineral is cheap so I always add it anyway. Especially boron.