Best grass for hay in East Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
Can anyone around East Texas tell me the best grass to plant for hay. I have Bahia in about an 8 acre pasture now, but would like a higher protein grass if possible.

Tifton 85
Protein content will be determined by Nitrogen and rainfall.
In a Bahia field you will be fighting seed germination for years to come.

I am clearing the woods out of that pasture, so only have of it will be were the Bahia was. Are you saying it will be a waste of time.

garseer":19tx52r6 said:
I am clearing the woods out of that pasture, so only have of it will be were the Bahia was. Are you saying it will be a waste of time.
I like the coastal bermuda the best for hay. I have some T-85, and find that without a conditioner to crush those big thick runners and stems, it takes a day or 2 longer to dry and cure for hay. The Coastal grows straight up, cuts well and cures very well for hay. I have about 6 different varities of bermuda grass, all planted for my own expirments to see which I liked the best, and have decided I like the coastal for its drought resistance, and easy haying. The T-85 will get lots more tons per acre alright, but the thick stems and runners will require more care in haying it. JMHO. :lol:

No not at all. Tifton 85 is a great grass. It is just very hard to get rid of the bahia. Another point is that you may want to reivaluate the bahia. Bahia is not all that bad a grass. You may want to do a search on it. CB seems to like it just fine. I know many others that grow it for hay and pasture. About 50% of my pasture is bahia and I have no complaint. Tefton and other grasses are great but you must put a pencil to it and see how long it will take to justify the expense. If you do plant another grass I personally see nothing wrong with a little bahia mixed in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have about 35 acres in Bahia and I don't like it at all for hay. It might be pretty good for forage but I don't think it belongs in the hay barn - JMHO. It's hard to cut, when dry there's not much left of the blade (fines in the baler) and as someone above stated it's hard to kill.

It's hard to beat Coastal in South and South East Texas, IMO.

I like all the different oppinions. The bahia got really thick this year with all the rain and you couldn't find anyone to cut on halves, so I figure if you plant a good enough grass that will not be a problem. Everyone contacted would say let me come and look at it. I figure since everyone had bahia they had plenty to cut. Ended up having to pay someone to cut.

BusterBrown":1rvn6ium said:
garseer":1rvn6ium said:
I like the coastal bermuda the best for hay. I have some T-85, and find that without a conditioner to crush those big thick runners and stems, it takes a day or 2 longer to dry and cure for hay. The Coastal grows straight up, cuts well and cures very well for hay. I have about 6 different varities of bermuda grass, all planted for my own expirments to see which I liked the best, and have decided I like the coastal for its drought resistance, and easy haying. The T-85 will get lots more tons per acre alright, but the thick stems and runners will require more care in haying it. JMHO. :lol:

Have you tried cutting the T-85 at around 24to 25 days instead of 28 to 30 days. Some of my neighbors that have T-85 says that helps. You still have a more digestible grass.

BC":37896vxs said:
BusterBrown":37896vxs said:
garseer":37896vxs said:

Have you tried cutting the T-85 at around 24to 25 days instead of 28 to 30 days. Some of my neighbors that have T-85 says that helps. You still have a more digestible grass.
I'll try that next year. I sprigged it this year, so I was letting it get established before really pushing it. I did get 2 cuttings off it though. Thanks! :D

garseer":12qd638e said:
Can anyone around East Texas tell me the best grass to plant for hay. I have Bahia in about an 8 acre pasture now, but would like a higher protein grass if possible.

You will loose your wallet trying to beat bahia in East Texas.
You just can't fight mother nature and win bahia loves our climate. Even if you spray with roundup and sprigged coastal you will be spraying with Alley every year to try and keep the bahia out.
I have tried it all and the bahia keeps winning no matter what you do.
I do have a stand of Red River Crab grass in a five acre test plot that shows some promise.

Never heard of the Red River Crabgrass. I know the bahia grass will be hard to get rid of, but will it be worth it in the long haul.

well you asked for hay. For hay coastal or tift 85 would be far better b/c you would get more hay out of it. having said that, you will never get rid of the bahia. bahia makes good pasture, greens up early, and bounces back from drought pretty well. i like it in the pasture. but bermuda will yield more.

garseer":o6vi595r said:
Never heard of the Red River Crabgrass. I know the bahia grass will be hard to get rid of, but will it be worth it in the long haul.

You will never get rid of it when all of the farms and ranches run bahia grass around you . Every time a bird flys over and craps he just replanted the field or someone hauls a load of hay down the road. Your best bet is to plant Paraguay bahia has a broad leaf and a lot less seed makes for some good hay. It yields better than Argentine or Pensocola.

There's much more to management than just spraying Bahia to keep it out of Bermuda.

Keeping the PH correct, fertilizing properly, and proper timing of cutting will supress Bahia.

Root developement and a thick, thick sod is key. Burning at the right time and fast growth, then feeding the roots with Potash makes Bermuda nearly impermeable.

I know of Hybrid Bermuda hayfields that have been cut annually for over 10 years with no spraying whatsoever.

That said. Bahia is for those that have no management procedures.

I should know, I have plenty of Bahia and deplore it. :lol:

Mike I agree with you 110%. Spraying is not the only thing to management of grass land. Its only a start but its something that helps speed the process up along with the numorus other things you would need to do.

Eddie Smith":12x3llkl said:
What about spaying Image to get rid of the Bahia?

Image is not cleared for use in pastures or where the grass will be fed to animals. Cimmaron (used to be Ally) or a generic can be used to control bahia.

MikeC":1k4utxex said:
There's much more to management than just spraying Bahia to keep it out of Bermuda.

Keeping the PH correct, fertilizing properly, and proper timing of cutting will supress Bahia.

Root developement and a thick, thick sod is key. Burning at the right time and fast growth, then feeding the roots with Potash makes Bermuda nearly impermeable.

I know of Hybrid Bermuda hayfields that have been cut annually for over 10 years with no spraying whatsoever.

That said. Bahia is for those that have no management procedures.

I should know, I have plenty of Bahia and deplore it. :lol:

With all that being said it would be cheaper to buy coastal hay than to fight an established field you could run cows on.

I'm growing mostly coastal and common bermuda...makes some good hay when pastures are cared for (i.e. spray for johnson grass and/or broadleaf weeds). Got 64 positively big, beautiful round bales last year. Lasted all winter...still have about 8 or 10 bales left. Hitting the hay pastures with chicken litter this week or next...then praying for rain.