Best Field Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Aplusmnt created a post asking for info on the best barbed wire. I would like your input into the best Field Fence.

I have about a 1/2 mile of fence I need to replace this year along a country blacktop road that gets a heavy use of traffic. I want to use the 47" high field fence with 1 or 2 strands of barb wire on top. Will have wooden pull post every 100' with metal t-post each 10'. The other thing I have to consider is that once every year for the last 3 years, someone has decided to drive on the other side of my fence. All 3 involved a stupid mistake on the long straightaway in front of my pasture. .

What brand, gauge field fence do you recommend?

Nowland Farms":1k7pueln said:
Aplusmnt created a post asking for info on the best barbed wire. I would like your input into the best Field Fence.

I have about a 1/2 mile of fence I need to replace this year along a country blacktop road that gets a heavy use of traffic. I and want to use the 47" high field fence with 1 or 2 strands of barb wire on top. Will have wooden pull post every 100' with metal t-post each 10'. The other thing I have to consider is that once every year for the last 3 years, someone has decided to drive on the other side of my fence. All 3 involved a stupid mistake on the long straightaway in front of my pasture. .

What brand, gauge field fence do you recommend?
12.5 gauge. I've had good sucess with about any brand,except Red Brand. They bought up several big wire companies years ago, and make IMHO an inferior product when it comes to longevity.

I thought I wanted a "Field Fence" once. I got to ciphering and realized I could put up an 11 or 12 strand barbwire fence for the same cost.

Wow. Woven wire must be high down there. I did the math when I fenced my new little place 2 yrs ago, and at that time I could put up 5 strands of barbed wire for the same price as 39" woven wire and 1 strand of barbed. I opted for the woven wire, as part of this property is bordered by the road and didn't want to take a chance on a baby calf slipping under/through the fence.

The reason I want to go with woven wire field fence is that this fence will be part of the perimeter fence and I would rather pay a little more to have a more secure fence. Although my place is rather small compared to other on this sire, I eventually would like to go woven wire all the way around my perimeter fences since it keeps the cows in well and the dogs/yotes out.

Sounds like nobody likes the Red Brand. I wish I had found this site 6 months ago before I put up 500 feet of the Red Brand. Oh well, now I have something to compare the new fence to to see which fence will rust the most/least.

Latest posts