Best fencing for feedlots?

Help Support CattleToday:

cedarview farms

Reaction score
Hi, im getting ready to make a small feedlot for a few cattle and was wondering what the best fencing is for feedlots. should i use like corral panels, cattle panels, barbed wire, wooden fencing, cattle panels with a top line of barbed wire, electric? tell me what you think is best. THANK YOU

cedarview farms":26ttivyg said:
Hi, im getting ready to make a small feedlot for a few cattle and was wondering what the best fencing is for feedlots. should i use like corral panels, cattle panels, barbed wire, wooden fencing, cattle panels with a top line of barbed wire, electric? tell me what you think is best. THANK YOU

Bar none - hands down - if you can get it - those metal road guardrails made of galvanized metal

Last forever and can take anything a cow, bull or steer throws at it - provided you use decent posts

See a crew replacing them on the road side - stop and talk to them - they will tell you how to get them - or go to your county roads department

Put then up and go to six foot six on the top side - NOTHING gets out unless you let it

Bez+

Just constructed one out of corral panels and 6X6's cemented in the ground with bull gates for the entrance. The guard rail would be awesome if you can get your hands on some.

I have nothing but wood for my lots and I absolutely hate it. Always something breaking or falling apart. If/when I replace some sections it will definately be railroad ties with guardrail.

most of our lots have gaurdrail and its the best for sure, but we also have a lot that we just use electric and that works just fine. the only thing with electric is that your going to want to make sure that its hot everyday cause fat cattle in a smaller area will know if its not in a short time.

novaman":22lkzghg said:
I have nothing but wood for my lots and I absolutely hate it. Always something breaking or falling apart. If/when I replace some sections it will definately be railroad ties with guardrail.

if you are going to go to the trouble of putting guardrail up why are you going to put them on wooden post,in the long run pipe post would be cheaper as railroad ties around here cost within a few $ of what a pipe post cost

Also pipe and sucker rod works well as does pipe and cable as long as you put your horizontals close enough together

Angus Cowman":3boyizaa said:
novaman":3boyizaa said:

if you are going to go to the trouble of putting guardrail up why are you going to put them on wooden post,in the long run pipe post would be cheaper as railroad ties around here cost within a few $ of what a pipe post cost

Also pipe and sucker rod works well as does pipe and cable as long as you put your horizontals close enough together
Normally I would agree but I have a big stack of #1 RR ties I picked up cheap a couple years ago when they redone the local RR. If you use good ties they will last for a very long time.

Our lot is heavy wove wire on 4 inch wood posts with offset hot wires-- I like it exept its not easy(painless) to climb if the need arises.
The barn is wood boards- I had to go in and bolt a verticle board over the other boards to keep them on the posts.

We use brand new railroad ties and oak 2x8's. I have a friend who owns a sawmill so we can get boards sawed at an affordable price. The railroad ties come from a place that makes them about 20 miles from here.