Best Fence Charger brand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
I've used a small Gallagher M150 on the horse pasture behind the house. Lightning took it out and was looking to replace it. If it's like anything else, brands can change over a few years. The Gallagher M150 (AC unit) is 1.5J and $111 @ Jeffers. Found the Stafix SX1 (dual - AC and 12v) for close to the same price. I've always heard Gallagher is one of the best - what do you guys think?

That's all I use. Tried some others and went back to Gallagher

Zabera is what I've got and it's worked good for me. Have replaced the battery once but I guess no battery last forever.

tncattle":3um49ejj said:
Zabera is what I've got and it's worked good for me. Have replaced the battery once but I guess no battery last forever.

Thats what I use too,never had a problem with the battery yet......
BC

I use a gallagher m1800 - 18 joule. Cracks a mean whip. It was expensive though (wanna say $500???), and I'm not fond of the indicators showing the load on the unit.

I've always used Gallagher -- they invented the first charger so they must know what they're doing. Plus they got a 2yr warranty that covers lightning and the local feed store can fix it if anything ever happens to it! That's what most of the universities around here use too. They are the only fence company that has a slough of reps in the field-you see them everywhere!

Thanks for the input, decided to stick w/ the Gallagher. Ordered the M150 online @ Jeffers for $109 (shipping included).

I had two Gallaghers destroyed by lightning - the local dealer honored their warranty and replaced both at no charge. I got tired of carrying burned out chargers into the dealer and installed two levels of lightning protection. Also can't have fences go down when there are bulls on each side and I'm not around.

I believe it was Dun here who suggested using a certain type of lightning arrestor shown here. I put a couple of these in the various branches of my fence system. They do need a separate ground rod.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=591&cat_id=44

The combination of that lightning arrestor plus a line surge protector like this:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=20146&cat_id=44

Has eliminated lightning problems for at least 2 years since I installed them.

My second charger failure was caused when lightning hit a nearby utility pole and the surge came in on the 120v line. On the first failure lightning hit a tree near the fence on a ridge and sent a huge surge down the fence.

For a total of about $18. for the two of these save a lot of grief. I use (2) Gallagher M600's which is about as hot a charger as I want to use. Anything higher volts and joules gets downright dangerous for me to work around in my opinion. Any animal not held by 6 joules is going on the trailer asap. The 600's are also strong enough to overcome quite a bit of vegetation contact this time of year and will burn back some weeds.

Jim