Best exercise for osteoarthritis

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchersswiss

Reaction score
Hi All! I hope you can help me start a good exercise program to prevent severe attacks of osteoarthritis pain.

I have osteoarthritis, and it's the worse in my shoulders and hands, but I've been a mechanic all my working life. I get a LOT of exercise at work so I can't say I do any on my own. Doctor prescribed me Mobic, insurance would only pay for the generic Meloxicam, so I've been taking it for about 6 months and it has made a world of difference in the pain. Now I have most of my range of motion back in my shoulders and hands. Doc said the worse your arthritis gets the more muscle mass you loose. Only problem is, it's hard on your kidneys, but I haven't noticed much difference in any side effects. I may look into steroid injections in my shoulders, so I can get off the pills.just remember, as Dun said, old age ain't for wimps. :lol:

Four step exercise program:
1.Hold whiskey bottle in right hand.
2.Hold glass in left hand.
3.Pour whiskey into glass.
4.Drink whiskey from glass.
Repeat as needed.

If you find a better solution please let me know. Serious.

Txpiney":2zx1zz0n said:
I have osteoarthritis, and it's the worse in my shoulders and hands, but I've been a mechanic all my working life. I get a LOT of exercise at work so I can't say I do any on my own. Doctor prescribed me Mobic, insurance would only pay for the generic Meloxicam, so I've been taking it for about 6 months and it has made a world of difference in the pain. Now I have most of my range of motion back in my shoulders and hands. Doc said the worse your arthritis gets the more muscle mass you loose. Only problem is, it's hard on your kidneys, but I haven't noticed much difference in any side effects. I may look into steroid injections in my shoulders, so I can get off the pills.just remember, as Dun said, old age ain't for wimps. :lol:

Keep an eye on your eyesight if you get steroid injections. They gave my 60-something aunt bad cataracts very quickly. Known side effect I'm told. Just fyi.

Txpiney":28ev2ir6 said:
Been on generic Mobic for 5 years. Really helps me too. Just this week my heart dr recommended I quit it or at least cut the dose back

kenny thomas":1o5fq6ke said:
Txpiney":1o5fq6ke said:
Been on generic Mobic for 5 years. Really helps me too. Just this week my heart dr recommended I quit it or at least cut the dose back

I am ate up with and have the surgery scars to prove it.
The best defense is warm weather and mobility. You can't outrun your DNA.
Most of the medicine side effects are worse than the arthritis.
The anti inflammatory the Dr gave me gout works better than anything I have tried. It is not a long term solution just when you can't stand it anymore.

bbirder":2qb0vxr5 said:
Water exercises.

I haven't swam for probably 10 year or more.. I went swimming with the kids this year 2 times. My knee never felt better. It really did it good.

an exercise bike really helps out too.

I'm getting therapy right now 3 times a week in a heated pool. No Swimming. Just light walking, stretching and cardio. The water takes the weight off your joints and you still benefit from the exercises. An hour in the pool really pumps me up. Wish I would have started earlier.

My mother in law has osteoarthritis, and she doesn't want to take painkillers. What she does is she uses hot compresses to ease pain and stiffness.

Lay off the sodas if you haven't already. The phosphoric acid increases osteoporosis.

Get yourself a real bicycle. They are way better than a Exercycle or treadmill.

And yes, water exercise works too.

Latest posts