Best Dog for Cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

redluv

Reaction score
I will be moving away from home in a few months and am planning on getting a puppy. In the past we've had blue heelers for cattle dogs, good dogs but didn't listen well. We recently got a 3/4 australian shepherd 1/4 blue heeler, he's in training but looks promising. I was wondering what you all like for cattle dogs? I like corgi's (sp?) but everyone jokes that they will get high centered on a pile of poop. I'd be fine with any heeler, mix, or shepherd. Just wondering your thoughts on this (and biases :D ).

I think that the type of dog plays some role, and also the personality of the dog itself, but the training probably plays a big part too, it would probably depend a lot on how much effort you want to put into training the pup to work with cattle. Probably any of the herding type dogs would work... We had a collie/german shepherd that did pretty well and had a lot of natural instinct. One of our friends has a couple of aussies that he likes real well.

Cardigan Corgis from working stock can be very good stock dogs. The key is "working stock".

You don't get them outside of NZ and Australia but Huntaways' work cattle better than any dog I've seen. Very intelligent, very brave, and very obedient. I don't think I could have any other breed after having my Dad's one and her pup that we've kept as a pet.

border collies or aussie shepards an catahulas.weve had all 3 over the years.an some are better with cattle than others.an weve had 1 or 2 that would ignore the cows.

I would for sure say Aussies, and your cross should be fine. They are hard workers, terribly motivated to please and well behaved. Though they have a lot of energy, they are not hyper and can come down when told to. Aside from being great cattle dogs, they are wonderful family pets ~ get along well with other people and animals, and are easy to train. I think the most important part is, as dun says, they have to come from working stock! It is not about paying alot of money for a dog. Watch the parents work. My dog is having her second and last batch of pups in May, and the owner of the male dog would be more than thrilled to have people come out and watch his dog work. Like any dog, start teaching basic manners the day you get them or they will be worthless, but I am thinking you know that. Good luck and enjoy!

I agree with Angie, that your new mix pup should eventually do well. I personally like a heeler, as well as a Border Collie. But believe it or not, I have a black lab that does as well as any cattle dog I ever had. But I attribute that from him learning from my blue heeler.

Limomike":2k8qf3j8 said:
I agree with Angie, that your new mix pup should eventually do well. I personally like a heeler, as well as a Border Collie. But believe it or not, I have a black lab that does as well as any cattle dog I ever had. But I attribute that from him learning from my blue heeler.
Does your lab get kicked much being higher off the ground?

My Pembroke Corgi, before his injury, was a great cow dog. Don't let those short legs fool you. I watched him pass a cow that was at a full run and turn her around and get her in the corral. :D
By the way his parents were not working cogis, but he has the instinct to chase cows.

showing71":2jsacgac said:
Limomike":2jsacgac said:
Nope. She is pretty agile, and dodges them good.

Limomike":2d9o4f1y said:
showing71":2d9o4f1y said:
Limomike":2d9o4f1y said:
Nope. She is pretty agile, and dodges them good.
I'd love to see her work them.

I like heelers personaly, but they take alot of leadership..Ive noticed that selective hearing runs through this breed at certain times if they dont have the good foundation on them. :)

Ive got an Aussie/BC mix and I think she will be good..we are going to start messing with some goats this weekend and see what happens. I hope I get the BC drive with the aussie easy going-ness.

spinandslide":1akmygnq said:
I like heelers personaly, but they take alot of leadership..Ive noticed that selective hearing runs through this breed at certain times if they dont have the good foundation on them. :)

Ive got an Aussie/BC mix and I think she will be good..we are going to start messing with some goats this weekend and see what happens. I hope I get the BC drive with the aussie easy going-ness.

just think about how good it would be if it was not crossed with a aussie

bigbull338":k46yirku said:
border collies or aussie shepards an catahulas.weve had all 3 over the years.an some are better with cattle than others.an weve had 1 or 2 that would ignore the cows.

There's been a lot of folks with good dogs through the years, but when it comes to heavy brush for acres and acres, I've seen nothing better that the catahoulas you mentioned. The owner called them Leopard dogs. His strain came out of the southern swamps and seemed to read your mind. They only needed humans to open and close the gates as they brought the cattle through. :D

I'm gonna hijack this thread. I've been searching high and low for a Corgi, but all I can find are show dogs, and I want one that will work. Does anyone know of a good breeder (in the Iowa/Minnesota/South Dakota/Nebraska area)?

showing71":uxwnpna1 said:
I'm gonna hijack this thread. I've been searching high and low for a Corgi, but all I can find are show dogs, and I want one that will work. Does anyone know of a good breeder (in the Iowa/Minnesota/South Dakota/Nebraska area)?
If you sign up for the mailing list at http://www.corgi-l.org/ you will be in contact with breeders. The good thing about Cardigans is that they're much fewer in numbers and are still closer to their working roots. Pembrokes have been bred by every tom dick and harry and have gotten away from their roots.

backhoeboogie":2eln8iez said:
bigbull338":2eln8iez said:

There's been a lot of folks with good dogs through the years, but when it comes to heavy brush for acres and acres, I've seen nothing better that the catahoulas you mentioned. The owner called them Leopard dogs. His strain came out of the southern swamps and seemed to read your mind. They only needed humans to open and close the gates as they brought the cattle through. :D
the catahula we had was the best dog ever.we trained her with the horn as well as banging on the side of the truck door an pointing.i could wave my hand all over the cows an she would not move.but when my hand stopped on a cow she would go get her.an when you wanted her to stop just honk horn or bang on truck door an she would stop.saddly 1 day dad was in a hurry an didnt put her in the truck.an it started raining an thundering.an she hated thunder so she ran under the truck an got ran over.

Latest posts