best dog food for price

Help Support CattleToday:

I am a vet tech and feed my animals Purina Pro Plan foods. I would NEVER feed Diamond after seeing all the dogs get sick and die from it with the recalls they have had over the last couple of years. Purina does there own reserch AND processing. Plus i am a purina proclub breeder, so i get cool rewards and or rebate checks by saving the weight circles off the bags. I have fed several kinds of foods in the past and my dogs (House dogs and Coonhounds) seem to eat less, poop less and weigh more on the purina. JMO

I swear by Premium Edge Dog Food. I can buy a bag of that food (I feed the chicken type- it's first ingredient is chicken then chicken meal. and also high in the ingredients is ocean fish meal so that's at least 2 solid meats in the top of the list and 3 if you want to count the chicken that isn't a meal) also no corn, only rice and oats as the carbohydrates.

I can buy a 40 lb. bag at $30 a bag. It will last me 3 weeks. (I am feeding a 120 lb. Akita and a 80 lb. lab.) SO it is costing me the same as a bag of the sportmix Hi protein that they were doing terribly on. (Rough hair and goopy eyes and LOTS of stool.) They were going through a 50 lb.bag of that every 1.5 weeks at $16 a bag. So I am saving money and they are looking and feeling GREAT!

These various ingredients are not always listed in descending order either. Many put what they know you'll be looking for "first" and then go on from there. Sort of like cow feed in a way. Just because it says "grain" first on the tag doesn't mean there is more grain in there than anything else. Purina and Cargill started that when least cost formulations came along.

But in looking at Innova EVO, what the heck does a dog do with a dose of apples, tomatoes and cottage cheese? Not to mention chicory root and rosemary extract. If he wants tomatoes and cottage cheese I'll buy it for him but not in a dog food bag.

Purina Pro Plan I love....good energy...extremely digestible and low feeding rate.

Hcc":1343gu6x said:
I swear by Premium Edge Dog Food. I can buy a bag of that food (I feed the chicken type- it's first ingredient is chicken then chicken meal. and also high in the ingredients is ocean fish meal so that's at least 2 solid meats in the top of the list and 3 if you want to count the chicken that isn't a meal) also no corn, only rice and oats as the carbohydrates.

I can buy a 40 lb. bag at $30 a bag. It will last me 3 weeks. (I am feeding a 120 lb. Akita and a 80 lb. lab.) SO it is costing me the same as a bag of the sportmix Hi protein that they were doing terribly on. (Rough hair and goopy eyes and LOTS of stool.) They were going through a 50 lb.bag of that every 1.5 weeks at $16 a bag. So I am saving money and they are looking and feeling GREAT!

Oats in dog food? Sure it's not oat groats? Next time you go buy a dogfood plant ask to see their "meat". All you'll see if a big tank of "beef slurry" or "chicken slury".

Latest posts