best dog food for price

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
i am looking for a high quality dog food for my cow dogs. whats is the best for my $? I have been using diamond - black gold. $20 per 50lbs. Comments.

Here is my suggestion...

EXCEED, Members Mark Brand. Sold exclusively at SAM'S Club stores...

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein...26%
Crude Fat...16%
Crude Fiber...3%
Moisture...12%
Just a few mentioned here...

Go to the link for more...
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=175431

"This food was specifically developed as a high-protein formula to keep active, hardworking or hunting dogs in top form." -SAM'S Club

It is the only dog food around here that has meat listed as the first ("main") ingredient.

Ingredients: Lamb(or chicken), Brewers Rice, Corn gluten meal, etc...

:cboy:

Our weanie dog was on the diamond brand stuff when we got him but since I had never heard of it I checked with the vet. She said it's a good quality feed and good value for the dollar.

The diamond brand, if we are talking about the same stuff, was killing dogs a while back . We use to use it with our hunting dogs but when that started we quit. It has gone to around $22 a bag now and not near the quality it use to be,,,, won't keep weight on the dogs,,, is all dry and hard usually.

We use Sportsmix... the black bag now.

Dog food labels can be very misleading The protein might be the same on two different brands but one may be far superior if the protein is plant derived it won't be near as good for your dog. Pre cooking ingredients aren't always what they seem. For instance Science diet has a number one ingredient of chicken it also happens that the chicken they use is 70% water so after cooking what they really have is a corn based dog food not much better than ol'roy who happens to be made at the same plant as Black gold and the main ingredients are exactly the same the difference is black gold is greasier so dogs think it is good.

I use Blackwood but it can be alittle pricey it is dang good though. If you are looking for something cheaper but still decent i would go with Enhance made by Arkat. I've used it and liked it alot better than Blackgold.

We have had australian shepherds for over 23 years and I can always see a differenc in their coat quality and luster if I go away from IAMs

It costs a little more but I think they eat less of it and it lasts a long time and the dogs definitely do better on it.

Nutrition for mans best friend is not where i am going to cut corners.

i feed diamond extreme energy sporting dog formula to my german wirehaird pointer. i cant get any weight on him but he does put on a few miles. i tried iams and science diet his coat wasnt as nice and he still didnt put on any weight. so back to the diamond i went, it seems to keep him in better shape and be cheaper!!

i believe it is 32% protein and 26%fat.

Iams was bought by a big company I think it was proctor and gamble they cheapened up the formula of both Iams and eukanuba and were even drug into the recall because of their lower end ingredients. Iams ten years ago is better than eukanuba today. They have both slid along ways since they were bought. Still they aren't bad dog foods just not what they used to be.

Believe it or not Sam's Club, WalMart, TSC and Diamond are all made by the same company. Only the names are changed to "protect the innocent". I believe the Diamond Pet Food recall was due to excessive aflatoxin in the corn used. Many hounds became expensive dogs in that lawsuit. At one time all of these were made by Doane's Pet Care, now MM Mars. Purina Pro Plan is an excellent dog food for the active working dog. Expensive but you don't feed nearly as much and the energy and digestibility are extremely high. This is made by Ralston Purina and NOT Purina Mills, Inc. Ralston Purina spun off PMI years ago. I believe they are now owned by Land O' Lakes. Both still use the checker boards (confusing huh?? )

I use Diamond Lamb and Rice Formula for my Rat Terriers. They do well on it.

Wal-Mart Maxxximum--believe it or not--My cats do really good on the cat stuff.

Over the years we've used several brands with the different dogs we've had: Siberian Husty, Lab, Terrier Mix.

Our current dog that is about a 65# stocky Terrier/Pitt mix works well with about 2 cups of Gravy Train each evening with sundry meat/table scraps (not more than about 1 cup). When real cold weather hits we have been using the "Skippy" brand of canned: 1 can + 1 can of Gravy Train. All methods we use, always put about 1 cup of water with the mix to product "Gravy". He does well on this, protein moderate, fat content low since he would like to gain weight.

I also give our barn cats about 2 cups of the Gravy Train + Water in it once a day to give them incentive to hunt the next day: want them to be fed, but a touch hungry next day to catch gophers and whatever else pests are around.

Since we feed about 40# of the dry food a month, are not going to spend $20-30 for a 15 to 20# bag for that nationally advertised designer dog food.

Alpo dry is pretty cheap at Dollar General. It's good enough for ordinary dogs. I've used it for years. My old dog, (the Pointer in my avatar, 15yrs. old), I started feeding either Purina or Sam's puppy chow- keeps him filled out better. He also gets a can of alpo with gravy(which has practically no nutritional value, but he loves it and has earned that much, it's only 50 cents or so a can at Wal-Mart) poured on top with a half of an osteo bi-flex tab in between.

peg4x4":avuqskl8 said:
Wal-Mart Maxxximum--believe it or not--My cats do really good on the cat stuff.

believe it or not the dpg food is really good stuff too if ya read lables...my dgs like it..cept walmart is always out of it when ya need it

I feed Purina ProPlan and ProPlan Selects. I have fed Diamond in the past and it is decent, but with all the recalls they have had in recent years it wasn't worth the risk of losing my dogs. I have excellent results on the ProPlan food, and I show my dogs, so they have to be in top shape with nice coats. They have a bunch of different formulas, if your dogs are hard working dogs you might want to feed the performance formula.

~~

If you really care about the health and lifespan of your animals, learn how to read ingredient labels on the dog food bags.

Old Roy, and other cheap dogfoods have very questionable and inferior ingredients.

There are lots of websites with info on the healthiest 100 dogfoods in the USA, and Old Roy, Iams, Eukanuba, Purina etc are NOT on it.

Presently feeding my dogs Innova Evo ( all meat--no grain ingredients ) and Merrick.

Feed raw on the weekends.

Here is a good website that has analysis of most dog foods on the market:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog-food-index-a.html

Same website, but in a different format, with 6 star and 5 star dog foods listed all the way down to 1 star dogfoods.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

And if a dogfood is NOT listed at all.... be wary.

The reviews are very educational.

The ole dogfoodanalysis page, that page is the reason for alot of sick dogs. The people running that site are not dog food nutritionist and if you bother to read anything they put up there, you will find that they don't test the foods they are rating. Wouldn't surprise me if they were getting paid off in the form of advertising for the high priced dog food companies. They are nothing more than a site that popped up after the big dog food scare and a problem more than a help. Judging a food by the label is very dangerous, the food has to be balanced for the dog, and all breeds are different in their requirments. :) If you think Purina is bad food, go to page 13 of the pictures of dogs and tell me if that looks like a poorly fed Chow to you. All of my dogs look like that, they are all fed Purina and the only reason mine ever see a vet is for health certifications for the OFA. :D