Best disinfectant for barns...

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
After you've had a sick animal stalled, what do you use for disinfecting? Saw a product called Novalsan?? Also heard liquid Lysol (the old stuff) was good...just wondering what is supposed to be most effective....we have aluminum panels, concrete floors and wood plank on the sidewalls (protecting the metal)... We've been spraying everything with bleach but wondering if thats the best we can do...

All bleaches chlorines etc are oxidizers. Basically super salt. It will rust steel, chalk aluminum, eat the soft grain of woods. Make sure you rinse everything really well, and don't let it dry on surfaces. Other than that it will kill almost all organic bad stuff and even good stuff

It will also burn the livin crap out of your lungs if you mix it too strong in any kind of confined area.

Most of the vet clinics I have seen use blue Novalsan, thats good enough for me. I don't know but if it is a large area I would think Lysol could get expensive. We used lye powder for dirt surfaces.

The chlorine sanitizers for dairy pipelines were pretty high priced compared to Clorox bleach and my mom likes the bleach better. @

AudieWyoming":33yjop8y said:
Most of the vet clinics I have seen use blue Novalsan, thats good enough for me. I don't know but if it is a large area I would think Lysol could get expensive. We used lye powder for dirt surfaces.

The chlorine sanitizers for dairy pipelines were pretty high priced compared to Clorox bleach and my mom likes the bleach better. @
$5.60 per gallon. It's 12.5% sodium hypochlorite.

Holy moly that's pricey. I pay 1.05/ gallon for the same. Have you checked the pool supply stores. Its usually only 10 percent NaCl but close enough and they may be cheaper

the thing I have run into in the dairy is that you may find another product that works, but they have not went through the testing to get FDA approval so it it not allowed to be used. Same bleach or sanitizer not labeled for dairy, no go.

The old timers always used lime to disinfect pens and barns after each use. And it's good for the ground.

#1 - you've gotta remove organic material - if there's manure, etc. caked up on surfaces, the 'organic' material in it will quickly tie up and neutralize virtually any 'disinfectant', bleach included. So, first-off, you HAVE to scrape/pressure-wash away all caked manure, crud, etc. I've seen calf barns where Salmonella was actually living(not growing, but surviving) in the wood structure of the crates/pen dividers. No amount of bleach was effective in cleaning up that mess - necessitated ripping it all out and installing metal pen dividers.
#2 - any non-porous surface, such as unsealed wood, dirt floors, etc., are gonna be difficult, if not virtually impossible, to effectively disinfect.
As others have indicated, bleach is corrosive to metals, and really not very effective at 'disinfecting' wood - yes, it may kill surface organisms, but
The quaternary ammonium and phenolic disinfectants, if used properly, probably will do a better job than bleach solutions.
One I'm most familiar with is 'One Stroke Environ'
http://www.pro-ag.com/default.asp?page= ... r=products

TexasBred":unpmpz5g said:
Bleach always worked fine for us.
State vet said bleach is ineffective in the presence of organic matter. That's why restaurants must first wash the dishes, rinse them, dip in bleach water, then rinse again. Lysol is most effective and so is the the old time favorite of lime. I believe I heard they used to white wash the barn walls.
Valerie

vclavin":1lar5527 said:
TexasBred":1lar5527 said:
State vet said bleach is ineffective in the presence of organic matter. That's why restaurants must first wash the dishes, rinse them, dip in bleach water, then rinse again. Lysol is most effective and so is the the old time favorite of lime. I believe I heard they used to white wash the barn walls.
Valerie
In a working facility of course you'd want to wash everthing first...just as your vet would do his facilities. In our calf raising operation. washing the igloos and attached "front porch", spraying with a strong bleach solution and moving over to an unused area of ground worked great. Raised hundreds of calves every years and seldom would lose over one or two. (I didn't do it..my wife did). That helped I'm sure. Seldom used any meds.

Whatever you use, make sure you mix it at the correct concentration. To quote one of my professors... "just because it smells like disinfectant does not mean the area is disinfected."

Where I'm at for the summer we use Tektrol for disinfectant of calf hutches after pressure-washing.

TexasBred":2cmy6a0x said:
vclavin":2cmy6a0x said:
TexasBred":2cmy6a0x said:
Valerie
In a working facility of course you'd want to wash everthing first...just as your vet would do his facilities. In our calf raising operation. washing the igloos and attached "front porch", spraying with a strong bleach solution and moving over to an unused area of ground worked great. Raised hundreds of calves every years and seldom would lose over one or two. (I didn't do it..my wife did). That helped I'm sure. Seldom used any meds.
When we were raising a couple of hundred calves a year we would spray each enclosure with bleach/water inside and out and move it to a new section of grass. After a couple of calves (6-8 months) it would be back where it had started. But that was when we didn;t know better back in the late 60s early 70s

You can also use hydrogen peroxide..... just buy the cheapest you can find. It kills more effectively things than bleach does.

Latest posts