Best Dewormers

Help Support CattleToday:

DitchBank

Reaction score
I need to know what the best dewormer to use on my calves is? They are small Holstein calves, and I would like to just get a dewormer that would work against all types if possible. What would be the best to use on them? Also I've used the one that you spray on their back and its blue liquid what is that called, if I remember its a little pricey but price anywhere from $200 down would work. Any good dewormers you've used? (Calves already have worms)

The worms are very small white worms.

Our little calves get Valbezon(sp), the one we use is a drench/squirt in the mouth. If I recall correctly (always questionable) there is a paste in a tube like a caulking gun.

No, but these worms are big enough to where I can see them in their poop.

The only ones I was ever able to see with the naked eye were tape worms. With tape you have to treat them twice, 2 weeks apart.

They very well could be tapeworms, I just hesitate to think so because the ones coming out are very very small but seeable, any other thoughts on any other type of worm, I've tried an entire tube of paste (only have 3 calves with worms) and it didn't work, so I am looking for something potent to try and fight them off, I will treat twice either way to be sure. Thanks for the help dun, what color is this that you used I looked it up and found it, I have used a blue pour on liquid before that works great but if I remember it was like $150 for 100ml of it, so I wouldn't mind trying something that someone else knows works that is cheaper, have you ever tried the type you said on tapeworm with success?

DitchBank":32h2shd3 said:
They very well could be tapeworms, I just hesitate to think so because the ones coming out are very very small but seeable, any other thoughts on any other type of worm, I've tried an entire tube of paste (only have 3 calves with worms) and it didn't work, so I am looking for something potent to try and fight them off, I will treat twice either way to be sure. Thanks for the help dun, what color is this that you used I looked it up and found it, I have used a blue pour on liquid before that works great but if I remember it was like $150 for 100ml of it, so I wouldn't mind trying something that someone else knows works that is cheaper, have you ever tried the type you said on tapeworm with success?
The only way to know for sure what kind of worm you're trying to treat is to have a fecal exam done. A lot of timess all you need to do is put one or 2 of the worms in a bottle or baggy and show them to the vet.
The only thing we've ever treated tapeworms with is valbazen. We only had the problem once with a copule of calves we had gotten from the salebarn. Cleared them right up after the second treatment they were clean of all worms
http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/VY/VY-51.html

Maybe I'll have to do a small fecal sample, is there a possibility they could be roundworms? Another reason I hesitate to say there tape worms is #1 because of the size (very small) and #2 there are a lot of them not just a few, they look kinda like tiny fly larva the ones I've seen in there feces. This is the product I have used before but I am not 100% sure I am fighting the same battle. Look like a good one to you/have any of you ever used this type:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...L6QD55XM7MC8JKCDRX2TX0MB27V06N2&pf_id=0028642

Also is there any ways to spread something across your pastures and shelters that will kill the worms that are living in the ground/around wet areas. I've heard lime works, would that kill most of the worms on my property if I spread it across my pasture? (its a small backyard pasture)

Get a fecal so you know exactly what you are dealing with, then you can use that specific product to eradicate them.. Good luck ..

When tapeworms shed, they look like small pieces of rice. They can be difficult to get rid of because you have to kill the head.

Round worms are usually several inches long and look like spaghetti. There are some worms that can only be detected with a fecal exam. You can get a negative fecal exam and still have a wormy animal. The fecal exam only indicates worms that are shedding eggs.

Valbazen will get tapeworms, but it would be best to talk to your vet.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/valbazen-cattle-dewormer-paste.html

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=2&pf_id=16387

When a tape worm sheds, does the rice looking things that come out wiggle and move around because there is a lot of movement in these things that are coming out but they do resemble rice some.

DitchBank":31tgyolw said:
When a tape worm sheds, does the rice looking things that come out wiggle and move around because there is a lot of movement in these things that are coming out but they do resemble rice some.
Yes

DitchBank":1eamsgih said:
Maybe I'll have to do a small fecal sample, is there a possibility they could be roundworms? Another reason I hesitate to say there tape worms is #1 because of the size (very small) and #2 there are a lot of them not just a few, they look kinda like tiny fly larva the ones I've seen in there feces. This is the product I have used before but I am not 100% sure I am fighting the same battle. Look like a good one to you/have any of you ever used this type:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc...L6QD55XM7MC8JKCDRX2TX0MB27V06N2&pf_id=0028642

Also is there any ways to spread something across your pastures and shelters that will kill the worms that are living in the ground/around wet areas. I've heard lime works, would that kill most of the worms on my property if I spread it across my pasture? (its a small backyard pasture)

Are you sure the worms you see are not fly larve, as some flies lay their eggs in the manure. Not sure how long it takes fly larve to hatch. If these worms are in freshly deposited manure they most likely would not be fly larve, however if the manure is a few days old then fly larve is a possibility.

A fecal sample is probably your best option.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for everyone's help although any more comments are welcome. As for the fly larva, the worms are in the feces instantly when it comes out, so its looking more like tape worms every day.

One more question for everyone: Within the same day, one of the cows I have can go from really hard poop, to somewhat runny poop, to watery poop, I have yet to see any worms in its feces, would this be a type of worm or what would this be?

Anyways, this cow as well as 2 others (that I have seen worms in their poop) are eating pounds and pounds of hay, grain, and calf starter a day but are loosing weight to where I feel bad there even still alive but I have tried plenty, today (after the 4th of July weekend) all the vet stores and local farm and ranch stores are back open, maybe a fecal sample today, and then go from there.

Tapeworms usually do not show up in a fecal exam. Since you've seen evidence of one animal having worms, it would be best to treat all of your cattle and follow up with a second deworming. Talk to your vet about when to treat the second time.

Weight loss and un-thriftiness is a sign of worms.

You can have a negative fecal exam and the cow still be wormy.

I'd let the vet do a fecal exam and ask his opinion. All the talk in the world won't get anything accomplished. They obviously need something, but wormers are so expensive you want to make you going after the correct parasite.

Good luck!

Latest posts