BEST CROSSES FOR BLACK BALDIES

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

WILL SOMEONE SHARE THEIR THOUGHTS ON THE BEST CROSSES FOR BLACK BALDIE COWS. HAS ANYONE USED SIMMIANGUS BULLS ? I AM IN OHIO.

A cross of the two best breeds, Simmental/Angus or SIMANGUS is the most logical choice for Black Baldies. Carcass,milk,growth and disposition.

I would put a good Brangus bull on a herd of crossbread long-legged herefords with all hereford color configurations.

I thought of Brangus. I know that would genetically be a great cross but I am located in Ohio and the offspring may show to much ear for our markets. What do you think ?

I live in Illinois and if I were you, I would stay away from any ear. I would suggest going with either a simmental or a simmental/angus cross.

Anonymous":160iumpb said:
WILL SOMEONE SHARE THEIR THOUGHTS ON THE BEST CROSSES FOR BLACK BALDIE COWS. HAS ANYONE USED SIMMIANGUS BULLS ? I AM IN OHIO.
I would use a Reg. Angus Bull on the Black Baldy cows. Using the exotics such as simmys, limmys, or other continental breeds you will lower the carcass quality that the Angus and Black Baldy is noted for, and thay are in the best demand in your part of the country. Your cost of gain will be
very efficent also, yielding a highly desirable carcass.

Colin Chevalley":r10dcja4 said:
In your area South Devon or maybe Tarentaise. Brahman would be great they do well in cold climates.
???????Brahmans would do great???they do well in cold climates???????
Where hou from boy???? besides Australia????? duhhh

Yes Brahmans do well in cold climates. I know Australia isn't as cold as the US or Canada. Brahman infused cattle are spreading further south into our cold areas each. These areas have experienced tough dry seasons which has bought the Bos Indicus breeds to the fore there.
I still don't think the US cattlepeople use enough Brahman content to see their full worth. :D

Colin Chevalley":1tjy8psc said:
Yes Brahmans do well in cold climates. I know Australia isn't as cold as the US or Canada. Brahman infused cattle are spreading further south into our cold areas each. These areas have experienced tough dry seasons which has bought the Bos Indicus breeds to the fore there.
I still don't think the US cattlepeople use enough Brahman content to see their full worth. :D
When it is cold in South La. the brahmans are standing around all huddled together shivvering their a__es off trying to keep warm. I know they would be much warmer a few hundred miles farther north. :p :p

Colin Chevalley":1oyhv5zl said:

The majority of large feedlots here in the US are in the Texas and Oklahoma Panhandles, Kansas, Nebraska. All those places get cold in winter and Brahman just don't feed well in cold weather. The feedlots won't pay as much for Brahman-influenced cattle, especially in fall/winter.

Brahmans do well in hot and warm climates and probably cool but not COLD. Virtually zero, none, zip, zilch, nada Brahman cattle in Canada except a bit in the odd bucking bull. It might cold in places but not Montana, Dakotas or Canada cold.

Latest posts