BEST CROSSBRED COW

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

WHAT DO YA'LL THINK IS THE BEST CROSSBRED COW TO PRODUCE COMMERCAIL CALVES? USING REG. BRANGUS AND REG. ANGUS BULLS.

Something with Hereford, Gelbvieh, or Braunvieh in it a cross of the three would be great. We have a few of these cross cows and they are hard to beat.

Angus or Brangus-Simmental cross and then as a terminal breed use Limousin or Romagnola that way you will never have calving problems and you will have good muscling

GUEST":1k0sryy8 said:
WHAT DO YA'LL THINK IS THE BEST CROSSBRED COW TO PRODUCE COMMERCAIL CALVES? USING REG. BRANGUS AND REG. ANGUS BULLS.

Depending on your forage base, you need a cow that is small enough and milks adequately to keep enough condition when feeding her calf to breed back. At the same time you need one large enough to calve easily with moderate sized calves but enough milk to raise the calf to it's potential.
You also have to determine how you'll market your calves. Retain ownership, sell them at weaning, background them yourself, sell them on a grid with some retained ownership.
The also have to be acclimated to your environment.
It's not easy to make a "silk purse from a sows ear", but with enough money you can do it.

dun

I personally prefer an angus cow bred to a shorthorn bull. Then come back with a hereford bull

brangus or tiger stripes crossed with the angus would get you some nice calves. for the brangus bull, you don't want cows with any ear because the calves won't bring as much when you sell them

Brangus x Herf
Brangus x Charolais
Charolais x Herf
so many good ones to toy with...pick two breeds and experiment on your own...these people on her can get pretty bias!

angus cross romagnola cows are the way to go for musculing and growth,and you can turn off 350kg calves at ten months.

To me on our farm, the best that has proven itself is the Angus X Hereford cow. Best cow on the face of the planet.

Matthew Frye

The most popular cross on our side of the border has beed the development of the Red Angus/Simmental cross femaile. this red baldy maintains the moderate frame and easy keeping quality of the angus combining the fertility and milking traits of the simmental. Although very popular the Black Angus or Black Baldy is still very hard to beat!

I prefer Salers/Angus cow (black or red) and charolais bull. The Salers cross cows have lower bwt. and bigger pelvis than Semi cows. The Angus influence seems to be the main ingredient for all these crosses.

There are so many good ones. I'd love to have a large enough property to have a few of all the breeds I like.
The best British type is the black baldy (Angus over Hereford) coming in second is an Australis (Angus South Devon cross)
The best Bos Indicus type is the Brahman Hereford ( Brahman over Hereford) though Simbrah and Charbray and South Brahvon comes a close second. Anything crossed with a Brahman is good.
The best European type is Simmental Hereford (Simmental over Hereford)
to me South Devon Hereford comes in second.
There are so many breeds out there for you to experiment with.
I have noticed since coming onto this board that US breeders that use Brahman based genetics don't seem to use enough Brahman content. Here in Australia to get say a Brangus with less than 5/8 Brahman content is very unusual more often there is 3/4 Brahman. Even in Southern parts no discount is given for an amount of ear,as long as the animal is good. I realise the climatic difference and appreciate the need to breed for the environment. Most of our country is hot and dry so Bos Indicus with high Brahman content reigns supreme.

I sure hope you have a great forage base. We started originally with Hereford X Holstein and Hereford X Holstein. When we had unlimited feed there wasn't a problem, but they require a whole lot of groceries. The milk won't be cut enough, frame size combined with that and they really aren't all that prectical. But, we used to graft 3 extra calves on each cow and they raised them.
That was 40 some odd years ago before Holsteins had been overbred for milk production.
Just an opinion, but I'ld look at it very carefully before commiting to it. In this area they're laughingly referred to as "Hillbilly hybrids".

dun

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":23gi0et1 said:
I say go with the Herfstien/Herford cross cows.

A beautiful female is a Limousin Brahman F1, and breed her to and Angus bull, black or red does not matter, they are vigorous and milk well and are darn good moms, and you will get a growthy calf that will bring a premium no mater what part of the country you are in.

Angus X Holstein and Hereford X Holstein............

dun

dun":2dupwwym said:
I sure hope you have a great forage base. We started originally with Hereford X Holstein and Hereford X Holstein. When we had unlimited feed there wasn't a problem, but they require a whole lot of groceries. The milk won't be cut enough, frame size combined with that and they really aren't all that prectical. But, we used to graft 3 extra calves on each cow and they raised them.
That was 40 some odd years ago before Holsteins had been overbred for milk production.
Just an opinion, but I'ld look at it very carefully before commiting to it. In this area they're laughingly referred to as "Hillbilly hybrids".

dun

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":2dupwwym said:
I say go with the Herfstien/Herford cross cows.

guest":3nzf9y50 said:
I personally prefer an angus cow bred to a shorthorn bull. Then come back with a hereford bull

Problem here is the blue roan out of the first generation. The steers get docked at the barn for color. They discount because they can get away with playing they are longhorn cross....