best cross

Help Support CattleToday:

branxchar&charx

Reaction score
i was wondering what would be a good terminal sire for a herd of cows that are 1/2 angusplus 1/4 charolais 1/4 brangus some cows are the same but but instead of 1/4 brangus are 1/8 brangus and 1/8 hereford
dont say angus because i know angus goes good with almost any cross unless there is no other possible choice all help will be appreciated many probably already know but im talking bout angus plus as a breed
thanx

In my opinion, even though you said don't say Angus; IMHO maybe you should look at certain Angus Carcass sires instead of what breed in general.
What about New Design 036 or 1407 or 838. They are all good carcass sires and should give a high percent of prime with the balance mostly choice.
I would definitely use 036 as a terminal sire and not keep back any daughters, New Design 838 and 1407 would be a good choice to use as a Terminal sire and also have good daughters to keep for replacements.
With the cows background of Char and Brangus. I would probaly go with 1407 or 838.
There are others to consider in the Angus breed and also in the Polled Herefords that should be considered; but I do not know enough about the Hereford or Polled Herefords to give any kind of recommendations there,
Others on this Board, such as Campground Cattle, Txag, Texan know much more than I do about the Herefords, and Ollie knows plenty about Red Angus

branxchar&charx":15wg1hye said:
i was wondering what would be a good terminal sire for a herd of cows that are 1/2 angusplus 1/4 charolais 1/4 brangus some cows are the same but but instead of 1/4 brangus are 1/8 brangus and 1/8 hereford
dont say angus because i know angus goes good with almost any cross unless there is no other possible choice all help will be appreciated many probably already know but im talking bout angus plus as a breed
thanx

I'm partial to the English breeds be hard to go wrong with polled Hereford, Angus, shorthorns, or British Whites. Whites have a lot of good traits gene pool a little shallow in the states right now.

la4angus:

I am interested in your comment about the 036 daughters. I don't think I have ever seen one. Any information on them would be appreciated since there are so many of his descendants out there today. With the popularity of 1407 and 828, linebreeding to 036 seems inevitable.