Best cross on Black baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":k5b23ya2 said:
Angus Guy":k5b23ya2 said:
On black baldies my first choice would be angus. But if you really want some good doing calves that will do alright on the grid I would go with char.

Look Mike an angus breeder promoting your breed. :shock:

Yes, thanks. But what I have seen that works better is to breed the Hereford cows to Char bulls and breed those "Buckskins" back to angus.

Those buckskins make some dang tough cows in the heat or cold. The calves off of them work on any grid.

Would you still get smoke colored calves or would they now come black?

Also how much calving problems is there in say a Char bull on Hereford cow?

aplusmnt":2vgdmfgt said:
MikeC":2vgdmfgt said:
Yes, thanks. But what I have seen that works better is to breed the Hereford cows to Char bulls and breed those "Buckskins" back to angus.

Those buckskins make some dang tough cows in the heat or cold. The calves off of them work on any grid.

Would you still get smoke colored calves or would they now come black?

Some black and some grey. Depends on whether the cow passes the diluter gene or not, at least that's how I understand it.

Also how much calving problems is there in say a Char bull on Hereford cow?

Shouldn't be a problem, especially on mature cows. Char breeders have done a good job over the years of reducing birth weights and still maintaining good growth. Just need to select the right bull.

Caustic Burno":3e7q76f7 said:
This is an old discussion it is like the little boy that kissed the calf in the ass it's a matter of taste.

when we move our Angus bulls from paddock to padock in mobs of 10 we are terrified. Not only are they fighting with each other along the way, but they go the horses as well "when we are on them". forget about going in the yard with them to much testosterone.

Another idea: How a red angus bull work on baldies? Would the black gene override the red and produce black calves? Would the red breed count as a third breed in the heterosis score?

deereman":4hfpl85j said:
Another idea: How a red angus bull work on baldies? Would the black gene override the red and produce black calves? Would the red breed count as a third breed in the heterosis score?

Red Angus on black baldies would produce about half red calves and half black. The cow has a 50/50 chance of passing on either the red gene or the black gene, and that would determine the color of the calf. The bull would always pass on a red gene.

As for the second question, there would be very little, if any, heterosis from crossing red and black angus.

VanC":2qyyxqwz said:
deereman":2qyyxqwz said:

As for the second question, there would be very little, if any, heterosis from crossing red and black angus.

That would depend on how much Simi blood there is in the woodpile. Many of the commercial guys around here like to feed lots of hay to big black cross bred cows. :p

Latest posts