Best cross on Black baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
I'm rolling my black cow herd to black baldies(angus/polled herford). I think they will give a great Maternal package. I'm trying to figure what would be a good Terminal cross on those black baldies. I'm considering the Charolais breed. I feed out my calves so I don't care about color of their hide. What draws me to the charolais breed is we have a few charolais cows in the herd. It seems those calves are always the biggest one's in the yard. Any thought's????

If you are going for just a terminal cross, I say char is the way to go.

If you're looking at keeping back some replacements you may want to look at other options. Simi or Gelbvigh(sp) would allow you to keep them black, add some muscle and grow to the calves and still have some maternal power behind them.

I would look at Gelbvieh, you can still wean close to the same weight as the Charlois and still have the option of having great replacement females. Plus you can keep them black.

regenwether":3mompf45 said:
I'm rolling my black cow herd to black baldies(angus/polled herford). I think they will give a great Maternal package. I'm trying to figure what would be a good Terminal cross on those black baldies. I'm considering the Charolais breed. I feed out my calves so I don't care about color of their hide. What draws me to the charolais breed is we have a few charolais cows in the herd. It seems those calves are always the biggest one's in the yard. Any thought's????

A couple of you need to reread this post. He is asking for a TERMINAL cross, which means he's not going to retain heifers, and he says he's not concerned about coat color, so the calves don't have to be black.

That being said, any of the above suggestions would be good, IMO. I would prefer Charolais, but if you go with Gelbvieh or Simmies, you might see if you can find some decent red ones. Since everyone seems to be interested in black right now, you might find some good quality red ones at a cheaper price.

english x continental gives you the most hybrid vigor and heterosis.

I realize you're asking for a terminal cross but it also depends on where you plan to market these calves:

salebarn: black and yellow hides bring the most

replacement heifers - you might consider simmental as they are the milkers of the continental breed

I like charolais over limo, however there is a fella up at the barn that has angus and angus x brangus cows that he crosses to a limo and those are nice calves

One that will keep the carcass the way you like, grow the way you like without a larger frame and longer feeding time. I would say that there are pleanty of Angus bulls that fit this. Another breed might be better to keep or inhance hybrid vigor.

regenwether":151frgz3 said:

A neighbor uses a Gelbvieh bull on baldies and has some nice looking calves, I also have seen nice calves from the Charolais baldy cross. I currently own a Gelbvieh and really like him, I considered a Charolais but couldn't find one with a low birthweight EPD, or low actual birthweight that I liked.

Hill Creek Farm":3aqwfawr said:
I have seen some really good Gelbvieh bulls. They can be red also right?

Red, actaully yellow, is the original color. The name means yellow cattle

dun

dun":m97udgt4 said:
Hill Creek Farm":m97udgt4 said:
I have seen some really good Gelbvieh bulls. They can be red also right?

Red, actaully yellow, is the original color. The name means yellow cattle

dun
That is right. I remember now. Thanks Dun! You are one of the elders of this great cattle board, well at least to me you are. Thanks again!

regenwether":2togks4g said:

Go with the Limos! Less calving problems and they are know world wide as the carcass breed! You are finishing them yourself right? Why go with some of the breeds that take longer to finish? ie. Char Simm ect. Limo bulls will give you that extra beef and won't cost you more in time, feed, ect. to finish your calves out.!

S.R.R.":3reduvbx said:
regenwether":3reduvbx said:

Go with the Limos! Less calving problems and they are know world wide as the carcass breed! You are fiishing them yourself right? Why go with some of the breeds that take longer to finish? ie. Char Simm ect. Limo bulls will give you that extra beef and won't cost you more in time, feed, ect. to finish your calves out.!

Maybe like the majority of the people they want their meat marbled

dun

dun":fee49tmb said:
S.R.R.":fee49tmb said:
regenwether":fee49tmb said:

Go with the Limos! Less calving problems and they are know world wide as the carcass breed! You are fiishing them yourself right? Why go with some of the breeds that take longer to finish? ie. Char Simm ect. Limo bulls will give you that extra beef and won't cost you more in time, feed, ect. to finish your calves out.!

dun

Or penable come sale time. You know the wingnuts are loose when the breed has to put a docilty EPD on the papers.
Ran a Limo bull four years never retained one calf craziest bovines that every hit the ground.

dun":292u40ia said:
S.R.R.":292u40ia said:
regenwether":292u40ia said:

dun

Are you trying to tell us that a 1/2 British 1/2 Continental calf will not marble well enough to enjoy eating?? Give your head a shake dun, at least CB has a valid point,
Stating that a 1/2 British 1/2 Continental calf won't marble, is like saying 80% of all feeder cattle today are not going to marble well enough to make costumers happy! :roll:

Actually only about 50% (give or take a couple %) of the cattle killed this past year graded choice or better.