Best commercial bull fur them baldys.

Help Support CattleToday:

ONLY-BEEF

Reaction score
I got me an interest in what yall feel on the subject. im speaken of all them calves headen to the sale barn come weanen. no keepers atall.

Black or Red? if there red i would go with Red angus bull puts alot of Carcass on them calves the Females will make great Replacements heifers that will sell well at the Sales Barn. and the Steers will also bring top $.

Depends on the market in your area, but most any continental would be a good choice. That's the good thing about baldies, you can put most anything on them and get good marketable calves.

cypressfarms":r9kf1p1n said:
Charolais.

You said all going to the salebarn, and using a continental bull would give you maximum heterosis.

Got to go with cypressfarms on this one!

Now this here aint my writen but is what we go buy here on the ranch. our bulls are born here and have to meet this here criteria befor were gonna give em a chance at one of our herds.

Has an active but manageable temperament

Born naturally, out on the range, without any help

Out of a cow that has been a regular breeder, since her first birthday, in a multi-sire herd

Out of a cow with a good to excellent udder

Developed and tested on a 100% forage diet, under native rangeland conditions

Highly acceptable on the basis of growth and visual appearance (conformation) when evaluated as a yearling bull

Is an easy keeper and does not require an excessive amount of supplementation and pampering to stay in good body condition

Is physically sound and has the ability to breed cows successfully, out on the range, beginning at approximately 14 months of age

Is an aggressive breeder and exhibits highly acceptable libido and natural herding ability

Is highly prepotent and has the ability to transmit his traits to his offspring

Sires calves that

have low birth weights
are strong enough to get up and suck shortly after birth
are thick and meaty
grow off fast after weaning
flesh well on lightly stocked range forage

Sires calves that develop into highly acceptable grassfed slaughter animals and functionally superior herd replacements

Is highly resistant to disease and parasites

Is optimum in size when mature, between 4 and 5 frame score, from 1900 to 2200 pounds, reflective of a bull best adapted to his particular range environment

ONLY-BEEF":1fhsk6sx said:
I got me an interest in what yall feel on the subject. im speaken of all them calves headen to the sale barn come weanen. no keepers atall.

Huh? I think I need a translator. :D

I would choose:

1. Murray grey (might be a good choice really.)
2. Black Hereford
3. Or miniature anything since they apparently sell so high. :)

They like black these days. I would find a good angus bull. :)

ONLY-BEEF":1clzt0xv said:
Now this here aint my writen but is what we go buy here on the ranch. our bulls are born here and have to meet this here criteria befor were gonna give em a chance at one of our herds.

Has an active but manageable temperament

Born naturally, out on the range, without any help

Out of a cow that has been a regular breeder, since her first birthday, in a multi-sire herd

Out of a cow with a good to excellent udder

Developed and tested on a 100% forage diet, under native rangeland conditions

Highly acceptable on the basis of growth and visual appearance (conformation) when evaluated as a yearling bull

Is an easy keeper and does not require an excessive amount of supplementation and pampering to stay in good body condition

Is physically sound and has the ability to breed cows successfully, out on the range, beginning at approximately 14 months of age

Is an aggressive breeder and exhibits highly acceptable libido and natural herding ability

Is highly prepotent and has the ability to transmit his traits to his offspring

Sires calves that

have low birth weights
are strong enough to get up and suck shortly after birth
are thick and meaty
grow off fast after weaning
flesh well on lightly stocked range forage

Sires calves that develop into highly acceptable grassfed slaughter animals and functionally superior herd replacements

Is highly resistant to disease and parasites

Is optimum in size when mature, between 4 and 5 frame score, from 1900 to 2200 pounds, reflective of a bull best adapted to his particular range environment

The kind of package you describe will be found most closely in a Hereford. Prepotency comes from careful line-breeding. The Hereford breed has perhaps the most complete line-bred bloodlines available, and more of them. The frame score requirements rule out most continentals IMO. As a rule the Herf makes an excellent range herd bull; that's where his origins are. There are certainly carcass Herefords out there. In that frame score range, Lents Anxiety 4th comes to mind when it comes to size, muscle, yield and quality grades. There are others who have more growth in the package though.

A Richard Day Hazlett bloodline would come the closest to meeting every requirement you have. You'd just have to pick one of the smaller frame scores he had, since his start at 5. I've personally seen his bulls perform consistently and last over the years. My 2 cents.

I would think a Simmental would work great on them. Could go with a homozygous black one and keep them black if that works best in your area.

Latest posts