Best Clean-Fronted Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
Which Angus bull is the best example of a clean-fronted bull? How big a priority is it for you?

That is something I hear several folks breed for and take pretty seriously. Right or wrong, I don't pay much attention to that, but I don't want extreme either way.

Perhaps you should've posted on the Show Board, as only the show ring puts any priority on clean front ends.
Even then the order of importance in judging frame is rump, stature, front end.
To me front end extension carries more importance than clean fronted.

I know Air gator isn't doing single trait selection, I suspect he searching for a balanced performance bull, yet one that
also has 'the look' or eye appeal the show ring admires.

Son of Butch":2iakfo2s said:
I know Air gator isn't doing single trait selection, I suspect he searching for a balanced performance bull, yet one that
also has 'the look' or eye appeal the show ring admires.

I agree, it has also been my observation that Air gator posts a variety of valid topics about bulls and traits. I appreciate the conversations as several of them have been of interest to me too.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I think we all are trying to improve our herds and whatever breed we have.
There is a lot of science available but it is still an art, or a good eye, or whatever that allows some breeders to really come up with great animals. At one time I had Fleckvieh cattle. I was told that up until the 1960s in Germany the mayor of the town would select the bull for your cow. I appreciate hearing from folks that have more experience than I do.

Only in towns where he was also the district agriculture supervisor and didn't select each individual sire, but approved
which A.I. sires of each breed provided by the ministery of agriculture would be allowed for use in the district.

I have a herd of Simmental, and quite frankly, the front end is the first place I look. It's not that it's the most important aspect, but it is important to me as I have a few cows that are a little sloppy in the front.

I don`t have an answer for a bull but a comment as to how important. To those that are just breeding by the numbers for pounds across the scale it wouldn`t be important at all. To those of us who like to look at our cows everyday and want to sell calves we can be proud of how they look it is very important. I think you need a balance of performance and look but avoid extremes of either. :2cents:

I'd need to know the definition or the goal of a perfect front on a clean fronted animal. No dewlap, lack of depth of chest, ... What is it?

Latest posts