Best cell phone for the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
My Boulder has finally died and wife says if I am going to replace it I should get a smartphone. I AM HARD ON A PHONE !!! I thought that I would try here for suggestions on a good durable phone that can handle simple internet ie. GPS, e-mail, and a few CT posts! Currently have Verizon but am considering US cellular as well. So what do you carry that has held up good on the farm? Thanks in advance.

I have an older iPhone (3gs i think) and it has notes, camera and other apps that I use to keep information. I keep it in an Otter box and has it has hit the concrete several times and keep on working. A smart phone for me is not really an option, it's a necessity.

iPhone 4S here. Run the 2 businesses off it, including scheduling, 2000 customers from over the years, names, addresses phone numbers and job details. Cattle notes, and browsing the web. Now, when I say I'm hard on a phone, i mean it. I've worn out every case made and possible in months, not years. So far the best case is the life proof case. And I get 9 months out of those before I have to turn them in for warranty. They're waterproof to the point you can submerge and take underwater video or pictures. Waterproofing is essential for me.

I whent without one for a long time, but my i phone 4s is pretty handy. And I haven't broke it in the first 9 months.

I agree the life proof case is the way to go. Not cheap but is cheap protection. I have two phones, a I phone 5 and a galaxy 4S. I like the iPhone a little better, but hate AT&T. Verizon for the galaxy but I get a lot of calls for my betting service and texts are slower. I would stick with the iPhone but use another carrier if possible. Definitely a life proof case.

I'm way to new at this smart phone thing to offer qualified advice, but I will anyway. I have an iPhone 4 (not a 4S). I bought this protective thingy that it has been inside since I got it about a year ago. The garment my iPhone wears says "Ballistic" on it. I don't think it's waterproof, but I did drop it off the 3rd story balcony a couple months ago. It landed on a concrete shop floor. It survived fully intact. I was impressed. I have also run over it with a bush hog and have a nasty looking gash in the "Ballistic" housing, but everything works as advertised. They seem to be tough as woodpecker lips

hooknline":117nzfka said:
iPhone 4S here. Run the 2 businesses off it, including scheduling, 2000 customers from over the years, names, addresses phone numbers and job details. Cattle notes, and browsing the web. Now, when I say I'm hard on a phone, i mean it. I've worn out every case made and possible in months, not years. So far the best case is the life proof case. And I get 9 months out of those before I have to turn them in for warranty. They're waterproof to the point you can submerge and take underwater video or pictures. Waterproofing is essential for me.

Same here... Iphone 4s for Oil Gas, Ranching, Hunting, fishing, ect. Done every thing from dropped it to made it get hot from being on it so long.

My speaker is just now starting to wear out and get where its hard to hear. Going to take it to a place because there is a lot of stuff like that they can fix.

Verizon has one called a Commando. It is waterproof, drop proof, idiot proof. It aint perfect but it stands up to evenything I throw at it.

slick4591":1itkzm7r said:
I have an older iPhone (3gs i think) and it has notes, camera and other apps that I use to keep information. I keep it in an Otter box and has it has hit the concrete several times and keep on working. A smart phone for me is not really an option, it's a necessity.

I have a verizon Razr 4g phone love it very useful and verizon wireless works everywhere here which is necessary for me for health reasons.,. However last week I was not paying attention stuck it in my back pocket jumped in truck broke it well the screen and lost alot of pics and stuff saved on phone memory had to pay 99.00 for insurance to send me another 1 the next day ... I now have a otter box it was 70 bucks but well worth it. I am extremely hard on a phone just remember dont stick your phone in your back pocket.

I have a otter box for my I phone and in 9 months it has not impressed me, of course I'm pretty hard on a phone and I may expect to much, it has kept the phone from breaking, but the otter box is in pretty ruff shape now after a few drops and scrapes.

Thanks for the input. I figured there were a few on here that are as hard on them as I am! I stay outside and live in the dirt/drop zone so life is rough for everything I carry. I had looked at the Commando like KT suggested and was leaning that way but will look again at the I-phone otter box combo. The Kyocera Torque looks like the best one but can only get that thru Sprint and they don't have a good reputation here. KT do you use the outdoor features on yours very often? Also any great gps apps for figuring acreage or tracking hunting spots etc. ? Thanks again for the help!

Finally broke down and took the wife's old Iphone 4s when it was time for her to get an upgrade. Really a lot of features that a person can use. Didn't get the otter box thingy for it but did buy the Mofie (sp) cover that has a built in rechargeable battery. When phone is low, just click the switch and it recharges the phone battery.

TexasBred":9zvdpzxq said:
Finally broke down and took the wife's old Iphone 4s when it was time for her to get an upgrade. Really a lot of features that a person can use. Didn't get the otter box thingy for it but did buy the Mofie (sp) cover that has a built in rechargeable battery. When phone is low, just click the switch and it recharges the phone battery.
I've been thinking about one of those recharge things for mine.

denvermartinfarms":3nun4ddk said:
TexasBred":3nun4ddk said:

Mophie Juice Pack Denver. Great for someone like me that forgets to charge the darn phone.

TexasBred":16vwuo8a said:
denvermartinfarms":16vwuo8a said:
TexasBred":16vwuo8a said:

Mophie Juice Pack Denver. Great for someone like me that forgets to charge the darn phone.
Thanks, I don't talk much and I don't text. But my phone only runs about 8 hours if I remember to charge it, and I don't always. I have a charger in my truck, but fairly often I'm not near any source of power for 10 or 14 hours and I need to be able to receive calls.

Depending on your location, the phone that will work at most of the areas you go. I tested a number of them before I came up with the one I have now and the one I had before that my wife uses now. Too many places on this farm that have no reception with 90% of the cell phones, it's the same at the other farm.

Latest posts