Best cattle at best price?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahman F1 crosses. Anything crossed with brahman. Hereford Brahman cross cows are in high demand. Look at the auction barns. Any cow with ear is selling high. Good heavy weaned calves is what you want and ear will get them for you.

Choose your bull to follow the market.

what is a realistic return on your $ with angus in general in either the cow/calf or seedstock operations

dun":2po2ydc9 said:
Before anything else you have to figure out how much of a return you expect from your investment and how little you'll be satisfied with.

What typr of cattle would be best in invest in?
Looked at cattle returns for over a year now. Already own almost everything needed. Still couldn't find a way to justify the purchase other than as a hobby I enjoy doing that I would at best break even in. That said, red cattle bred back to a black angus bull seemed to make the most sense in hot country.

Red Herefords or Hereford red angus crosses bred to a black angus bull seemed to be the best cross in central Texas. Also, underwriting your land and just feeding cubes and relying on stockpile in the winter seemed to be the best way to break even.

Autocorrect. Meant to say understocking. Basically running fewer cattle than your land can handle. Ex: I run 12000 lbs on land that can take 19000
If you have the ability to rotate pastures you can run more cattle and the grass/land will benefit more than if a single pasture with less cattle.

Last edited:
If you have the ability to rotate pastures you can run more cattle and the grass/land will benefit more than if a single pasture with less cattle.
Got 6 paddocks And do rotate the cattle. But, actually, rotation is more for long-term maintenance of your pastures from what I can tell over the past 5 years (keeping the balance of your C3/winter grasses and C4/grasses growing in the same proportion). The best research articles I have found actually say that it's stocking rate, not rotation that determines health of the pasture. And continuous grazing at an under stocked rate tends to be the most profitable. Rotating pastures also helps with wildlife, though.

But my point for any newbies was that we tend to get focused on breed, equipment, etc. But the best thing to do starting out is probably to control the excitement, buy little or no equipment, and under stock. In the end we are not likely to make money anyway. Running cattle is more of a lifestyle choice/therapy for the vast majority of small producers.

If it was me and my money I'd go to one of the roping stock sales they have at hamelton and buy $30,000 worth of young pairs with beef calves at their sides. Take the other $5000 and get a very good beef bull…. But I'm not like everyone else everyone ejse will tell you to buy angus cattle or brangus cattle but not me I'm a big supporter of roping stock cattle with proper care and bred to decent bull you won't loose money on them he'll even bred ti corriente bull you won't loose money on them with the price of ropers/potentials going up

Don't have that much experience, but 3n1 F1 Brafords seem to be what you might be looking for. Can check some out on YouTube. Bu not sure you can make that much money sustainable off of 150 acres in south texas. Are you 100% improved pastures?

I would take a good look at the neighbouring ranches in your area. Look at the more successful ones and model yours after them. As there is a good chance theyre type of operation/management style is best suited for the environment. That would be quickest way to success IMO.
just don't mistake shiny toys (debt) for success.

Latest posts