Best bulls for marbling

Help Support CattleToday:

Davemk":35ud9w2s said:
Aaron":35ud9w2s said:
Hogtiming":35ud9w2s said:
Genetics has some to do with marbling but Feed ration has a lot to do with it.

Sorry, genetics has everything to do with it.

Sorry, genetics does not have everything to with it. It has been shown study after study that a high plane of nutrition from a young age is more important than genetics. It is expensive to do that. What you are really saying is that there are certain genetics that will marble under less than ideal growth conditions at a young age.

When I hear of a 100 head pen of Corriente and Longhorn fat steers grading 95% Prime, then I'll agree it's not genetic.

Aaron":1rikp8nv said:
Davemk":1rikp8nv said:
Aaron":1rikp8nv said:
Sorry, genetics has everything to do with it.

Sorry, genetics does not have everything to with it. It has been shown study after study that a high plane of nutrition from a young age is more important than genetics. It is expensive to do that. What you are really saying is that there are certain genetics that will marble under less than ideal growth conditions at a young age.

When I hear of a 100 head pen of Corriente and Longhorn fat steers grading 95% Prime, then I'll agree it's not genetic.

I've never heard of anywhere grading 95% prime.

I know a guy in Iowa that has sent more than one potload of steers that were 100% prime. He has both the genetics and management to do it. I have talked a lot to a guy who ships hundreds of steers a year, his opinion on getting animals to grade prime is this.

1. 2/3 management 1/3 genetics but without management genetics mean nothing.
2. Never let the calf have a bad day (a day without feed)
3. Never ship a calf long distances at any point in his life.