Best Bull to Improve Future Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam you're going to need a plan for how to breed the retained heifers at around 15 months of age, one suggestion is to AI them. You may be able to find a friend, neighbor or vet that can do this for you if you don't know how to do it yourself. Breeding them back to their own sire is possible if the offspring are not being retained.
I am looking into it. Might ai them this first year to a good bull from their sires lineup

I studied the 2021 Select Sires fall catalog after an absence. The EPDs are more consistent and higher than I remember. Looked like all growth bulls to me...

I liked the +7 $EN, 109 $M, 17 CEM, 15.9 HP, 29 DOC for 7AN463 Tex PLAYBOOK 5437, who is advertised as a "top" cow maker, but the 107 YW and 32 milk concern me. Any experience with his replacements? Is there a Select Sires stud who has worked better for you?

Last edited:
I liked the +7 $EN, 109 $M, 17 CEM, 15.9 HP, 29 DOC for 7AN463 Tex PLAYBOOK 5437, who is advertised as a "top" cow maker, but the 107 YW and 32 milk concern me.
Steve I agree there's a lot to like about Tex Playbook but I would add, in addition to the high milk number, I was concerned by his RADG of 0.19 (bottom 85% of the breed). I'm interested in other people's first hand experiences too.

Latest posts