best bull on balancers

Help Support CattleToday:

You would have to identify the balancer cross first, also what market are you going to sell to.. Going to the sale barn with em or are you gonna retain a interest in them...Example, if i am going to the sale barn with the offspring of a F1 , then I am going to put a Limi, or Char bull on em. If I am retaining interest, then it would probably be a Gelbvieh. So whats your F1 cross?

houstoncutter":2wr2v39v said:
You would have to identify the balancer cross first, also what market are you going to sell to.. Going to the sale barn with em or are you gonna retain a interest in them...Example, if i am going to the sale barn with the offspring of a F1 , then I am going to put a Limi, or Char bull on em. If I am retaining interest, then it would probably be a Gelbvieh. So whats your F1 cross?
Balancer is Gelbvieh-Angus (red or black).

what would be a good bull to get replacements out of and have good steers? i was thinking Angus, i know its breed regression but that's waht sells around here

Cross breeder #1":2xyhx0hi said:
what would be a good bull to get replacements out of and have good steers? i was thinking Angus, i know its breed regression but that's waht sells around here

Balancer on Balancer. Are the cows 50/50 GV/Angus?

What bloodlines are your cows out of?

what would be a good bull to get replacements out of and have good steers?

That's like can I have my cake and eat it too! Ya kinda need to breed for one or the other! Not saying it can't happen but it's hard to do!

more focus on good profitable replacements but i feed out a few of my steers so they cant be bad.

Cross breeder #1":zw8wnpcw said:
is balancer on balancer going to result in mongrels?
Not mongrels but not the best solution either. Since your buyers want black why not use a black Simmenthal on them. That would keep your hybred vigor going.

Cross breeder #1":2d1b1qqh said:
is balancer on balancer going to result in mongrels?

No it's going to result in BALANCERS.

You don't give enuf info for much of an informed descision. I asked you what bloodlines they are out of, and if they were 50/50 crosses. You don't answer. So I will ask you again!!!

You also don't say what color they are. They could be HOMO BLK, HOMO POLLED. balancers and if so I would go back on them with a HH bull. Get max heterosis and lots of marbling without increasing frame. This cross would also give you some great baldie heifers for replacements!

A little more ionfo would help a lot. If you don't know just say I don't know. If that is the case I would go back GV for replacements and sell the rest. Or go high growth/carcas Angus and sell em all! You won't loose either way!

i was refering to a 50/50 balacer that might be blk, red, or hertrozygous black.
I like the growthy angus bull idea because the replacements wont be that bad either

Cross breeder #1":3p58a41v said:
i was refering to a 50/50 balacer that might be blk, red, or hertrozygous black.
I like the growthy angus bull idea because the replacements wont be that bad either

Except that growth usually comes with a bunch of milk and a lot of frame.

Find a good balancer bull with balanced epd's and try to make sure he is homo blk and homo polled.

It works just fine. I know of several real good cowherds within a 100 mile radius of me that do just that!

i might do hetro black and homo polled because I LIKE RED and im building a feedlot to feed out my calves so a little red wont hurt me just the market doesnt like them. my feed lot will only hold 50 calves so ill just feed out mine and buy some more good ones

Cross breeder #1":36pirwo3 said:
i might do hetro black and homo polled because I LIKE RED and im building a feedlot to feed out my calves so a little red wont hurt me just the market doesnt like them. my feed lot will only hold 50 calves so ill just feed out mine and buy some more good ones

Got one in the pasture right now that will fill that bill for you. Bring your checkbook yer gonna need it!

He will most likely be my best bull this year! Should wean between 670 and 700lbs. Maybe not a heifer bull. But very balanced epd's and out of a real nice cow!

image001-9.jpg

Im still building my balancer herd but in a few years maybe, i dont want to drive 2 days for a bulll though

Cross breeder #1":9t3z3p89 said:
Im still building my balancer herd but in a few years maybe, i dont want to drive 2 days for a bulll though

well, if yer real nice I might just meet ya half way!

Where are you located?

North East MO im buying pbs from judd ranch to get my 50/50 mom cows then looking for a bull tough decision is between simmi simangus and balancer. what would the simangus X balancer look like?

Cross breeder #1":2kpcertq said:
North East MO im buying pbs from judd ranch to get my 50/50 mom cows then looking for a bull tough decision is between simmi simangus and balancer. what would the simangus X balancer look like?

It would look like the mongrel you were asking about earlier. The conventional wisdom does not stack Continentals. It stacks British breeds. You want some decent easy keeping cows breed those JR girls to a HH bull and then go back with an angus for terminal!

Latest posts