Best Bull for SE Texas?

Help Support CattleToday:

A-RRanch

Reaction score
Hi All
Im new on here and just starting a little operation on 160 acres in College Station TX. My question is when breeding cross bred cows in a small cow/calf operation what breed of bull should I look for? We have a Brahma now and he has bred some cows for us but I'm looking to possibly get rid of him and buy something else. Advice? Thanks!

If you are looking for beef calf production then I would go a European or continental breed. To much ear will hurt you at the sale barn, although you may make up for it in weight.
Brahman bulls are typically used to build momma cows that in turn will give you hybrid vigor and economical cows. They produce the beef wanted at the barn. If your crossbred cows are mostly European cross and have very little Brahman in them they may be used to produce some good replacement heifers using your current Brahman bull. Cross those heifers back to Hereford or Angus and take those calves to the sale barn.
I like Knersie's suggestion with the rotation from Brahman to Hereford as you can choose your replacements from within your herd develop a cow herd getting close to the F1 Braford and yet produce calves that will still do pretty good at the barn.

Im looking for a bull to give me my best price calves at the sale barn 6 to 7 months after they are calved. My original thought was to buy heavy bred cows in the spring then sell the pair with the cow bred back in 6 months so I'm not having a feed bill, just pasture. But I have two Santa cross cows now that are just darn good cows and Im thinking I should keep my good cows because I know what I'll get with them...? Too many options for a guy who is new at this.

Does anyone see an obvious problem with my Brahma bull? I could sell him and replace as that is what Im thinking anyway but if I wont gain much in doing that I may not...

A-RRanch":2tdck006 said:
Does anyone see an obvious problem with my Brahma bull? I could sell him and replace as that is what Im thinking anyway but if I wont gain much in doing that I may not...
its a obvious one using him on gert cows. or other brahman influenced crossbred cows... i would go with a straight continental like limm or charolais for terminal calves...

Not trying to confuse you, but are you going to try to keep replacement females or buy all your replacements? If all calves go to the sale - buy a continental bull (Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin) for a terminal cross. If you keep heifers to put back in the herd, then it gets a little more complicated. Depending on the amount of Brahman influence in your cows, you have choices. If your cows are Gerts, Brangus, Beefmaster or F1 Brahman x Hereford or Angus then I would use Hereford or Angus. The steers will sell well and the heifers will make good cows. The tricky part is what to use on those retained females. At that point you will need to inject some Brahman-influence back in the cow herd to keep your cows environmentally adapted to south central Texas. You could use a Gert, Brangus or possibly a Beefmaster. The steers may not top the market in price per lb, but with the use of a good performance bull you will make up with weight. The heifers will make excellent cows and give you lots of options. I prefer a red or yellow cow for heat tolerance in youir area. You can make the calf black (if that is important to you) with the bull.

Call Tim Smith at Smith Genetics in Giddings and get yourself a Simbrah bull, either purebred or a 75/25. You will be happy you did. I have a 75/25 out of Smith McCary Andy Black and his first calves are hitting the ground now and we are thrilled about what we are seeing. For the most part all of his bulls have low BW with high WW and YW.

http://www.smithgenetics.com/newsite/bullssemen.html

I've seen your other posts and know what you are planning to do. Since you have no idea what your cows will look like from year to year I would stay away from Hereford. My first choice would be Charolais followed closely by Angus, Limmy, Simm, anything you can get a black calf out of.

I am getting a majority advice toward a Charolais bull and Im good with that. My new thinking now is build my cow herd and keep the good cows or just do like I originally thought and sell the lot each year. Im worried I wont be able to find good cows when I want to buy....If I have 8-10 good easy keeper, easy calver cows shouldnt I just keep them?

My suggestion is to keep a solid colour to maintain uniformity of your herd and sale cattle. This reiterates what Isomade said stay with the solid colour breeds but i would lean toward the continentals to give you some more shape, yield and performance. Seeing as you have Brahman cows you may want to stay with the lighter colours so I would suggest a red Limo or a Char

A-RRanch":vrx32i05 said:
I am getting a majority advice toward a Charolais bull and Im good with that. My new thinking now is build my cow herd and keep the good cows or just do like I originally thought and sell the lot each year. Im worried I wont be able to find good cows when I want to buy....If I have 8-10 good easy keeper, easy calver cows shouldnt I just keep them?

Just have your puller ready with that Char bull. Southeast Texas, I would go with a Beefmaster or Gert develope a good base set of cows with either of those 2 breeds, after you have the consistance herd of commercial do the Char cross or herf cross. I must say good basics now. What your business plan is going to be? Hard to beat a Char on a Gert or Beefmaster influenced cow.
:welcome:

Latest posts