best breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Speaking of hybrid vigor. I've always wanted to cross a Morgan with a Percheron. I bet that would be a hard pulling horse. You probably couldn't wear that horse out with a stick.

Have had lots of Qh/Belgian and Arab/Belgian cross horses over the years. Those big draftX saddle horses can handle muskeg pretty well.

Northern Rancher":3cgz1doi said:
Have had lots of Qh/Belgian and Arab/Belgian cross horses over the years. Those big draftX saddle horses can handle muskeg pretty well.
bet they could jar some fillings loose to breakin' em :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2j9pffgs said:
Northern Rancher":2j9pffgs said:
bet they could jar some fillings loose to breakin' em :cowboy:

actually rode a colt that was QH/clydesdale or so i was told and yes it felt like was wripping your joints out when his feet hit the ground

Interesting crosses. We have a lot of alligators where we live.

I think that an alligator cross would be ideal for the Gulf Coast States. The hide would be desirable for designer shoes, handbags and luggage. Besides the regular cuts of meat, the tail would be a high dollar cut.

And they would do well in the wet weather and mud and could graze swampy areas. No hoof rot. They too would hibernate during the winter.

been giving this some more thought and I think the Elephant / Angus cross would make a pretty good beast for the south, you'd have the size and growth of the Angus and some ear and perhaps a diluter gene from the elephant, add in the dual purpose hay stacking ability and the udder at the front so the biatches can't kick you and that's a pretty versatile animal, if the Angus influence makes 'em a little big I've heard the Olde African elephants could be used to downsize a tad..... That gator cross might work in the IA feedlots in the spring too!

chippie":ch833gnq said:
Interesting crosses. We have a lot of alligators where we live.

I think that an alligator cross would be ideal for the Gulf Coast States. The hide would be desirable for designer shoes, handbags and luggage. Besides the regular cuts of meat, the tail would be a high dollar cut.

And they would do well in the wet weather and mud and could graze swampy areas. No hoof rot. They too would hibernate during the winter.

Now that there is the best idea i have heard in a while......
is that why the sharkes are gathered off Boca Raton this week.....
to get them some Alicourse meat.
who has the patent on this....
looking for investors?
I bet we could get some shark DNA in the mix and have a salt water amphibious omnivore and all we would have to do is figure out how to catch and skin em.

robert":12muw2ez said:
been giving this some more thought and I think the Elephant / Angus cross would make a pretty good beast for the south, you'd have the size and growth of the Angus and some ear and perhaps a diluter gene from the elephant, add in the dual purpose hay stacking ability and the udder at the front so the biatches can't kick you and that's a pretty versatile animal, if the Angus influence makes 'em a little big I've heard the Olde African elephants could be used to downsize a tad..... That gator cross might work in the IA feedlots in the spring too!
Elephant/longhorn would also have a great secondary ivory market. Your angus cross would be polled. Got to be thinking about these things!

auctionboy":2tfnivxz said:
robert":2tfnivxz said:
Elephant/longhorn would also have a great secondary ivory market. Your angus cross would be polled. Got to be thinking about these things!

that's true but the feedlots don't like horns, plus with the black market demand for ivory there'd be guys in pith hats and .500 single shot rifles out to bag one, then again I hadn't thought about the black market demand for certified anguphant beef either :)

Something else about the Elephant / Longhorn cross. You could bypass the feedlots and processor by offering custom trophy hunts and charge thousands of dollars per gun (one critter per hunter).

chippie":3hixze6s said:
Something else about the Elephant / Longhorn cross. You could bypass the feedlots and processor by offering custom trophy hunts and charge thousands of dollars per gun (one critter per hunter).

now that's thinking outside the box (a very big box admittedly) the guru's at Beef magazine would be proud of that one, not playing to the commodity market, but uh oh, it may fall foul of the new GIPSA rules they're all worked up about........

Latest posts