best breed

Help Support CattleToday:

As stated on your other thread the best breed for making money is the Corse (cow x horse). Not many people realize it is possible yet and you can make a killing raising them for bucking stock.

Douglas":2aerf9kv said:
^ Bus Isomade i thought you need at lease a 3 way cross to maximize hybrid vigor. A goat would be my terminal sire.
Hybrid vigor is important, we have found that the best cross for the Course is Rino. After a year of having one on the place we started AI'ing for obvious reasons. :nod:

I've been using Black Bear on Hereford cows-the fact they hibernate in winter really cuts costs-the only downfall is 37% of them eat their calves at birth. Were thinking of back crossing to winnie the pooh to mellow them out a bit.

Northern Rancher":3416x2q8 said:
I've been using Black Bear on Hereford cows-the fact they hibernate in winter really cuts costs-the only downfall is 37% of them eat their calves at birth. Were thinking of back crossing to winnie the pooh to mellow them out a bit.
NR, I have some Smokey semen if you want to try it. He puts more frame on the calves than Poo, and the calves are sure handy in a grass fire.

I'd recommend the elephant for the 3rd cross, you can use the progeny to help stack bales, we've found if you make them eat every one they break they pretty soon get more careful about how they handle them.

robert":2khrqipd said:
I'd recommend the elephant for the 3rd cross, you can use the progeny to help stack bales, we've found if you make them eat every one they break they pretty soon get more careful about how they handle them.
I guess you'd be out on peanut hay then?

I like this thread.....
When I read the question I though oh crap here we go again.....
but this has been a refreshing read.
I don't think they have too much peanut hay in NY.
I also don't think that system of reward and punishment would go to well at my place.
what is the best type of horse for the first F1 cross?

pdfangus":34mfj86k said:
I like this thread.....
When I read the question I though oh crap here we go again.....
but this has been a refreshing read.
I don't think they have too much peanut hay in NY.
I also don't think that system of reward and punishment would go to well at my place.
what is the best type of horse for the first F1 cross?
hillbilly hybred. draft horse to tennesse walker
:cowboy: