best breed for the tropics

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Dear sirs .

We have imported some Brangus lately in our country (Surinam) south America where we have a very high humidity and hot climate and many insects plaques We can see that the brangus suffer alot from the insects and the heath .

We've been advised latelely to go for Murray Grey or Beefalo .Also Senegus was another choice .Which one of the aboves you advise . Will the Senegus have the same effect as the brangus ?

Regards

Rick

[email protected]

> Dear sirs .

> We have imported some Brangus
> lately in our country (Surinam)
> south America where we have a very
> high humidity and hot climate and
> many insects plaques We can see
> that the brangus suffer alot from
> the insects and the heath .

> We've been advised latelely to go
> for Murray Grey or Beefalo .Also
> Senegus was another choice .Which
> one of the aboves you advise .
> Will the Senegus have the same
> effect as the brangus ?

> Regards

> Rick

I would heartily recommend the Murray Grey's.There are breeders in Paraguay.You can go to mgi-inc.org to get more information.

I too would recommend Murray Grey. I am very pleased with my Murray Grey in every way. I dont live as far south as you (U.S.) but have done alot of research before getting in to the breed and I think they will do perfect for you. Good Luck!!!!!

Senepol cattle were developed in the Virgin Islands for the hot humid conditions.

dunmovin farms

> Dear sirs .

> Regards

> Rick

I don't want to knock the Murray Grey, as I'm sure they are fine animals and they sure have a lot of supporters and proponants on this board. But it is hard for me to imagine that Murrey Grey's will fare even as well as Brangus in your climate and insect situation. Remember that Murray Grey is essentially a 100% "British" animal, resulting from a Black Angus/Shorthorn cross. I believe that a 100% British animal would not normally be expected to handle heat, humidity and insects any better than an animal with substantial Brahman blood. I don't doubt that the "eating qualities" of the Murrey Grey could generally be expected to be somewhat better than Brangus, though there are plenty of Brangus calves that grade Choice.

But you have to raise animals that do best for you under your conditions. I know Brangus can take all the heat and humidity you can throw at them. If insects are the main problem affecting your cattle's performance it may be that you need to move to a higher percentage Brahman animal, say 50/50 or higher. The skin twitching and flexing abilities of the Brahman breed (employed to ward off some insects) may be bred out in an animal that is only 3/8 Brahman (such as Brangus).

You may want to consider looking into a beefier version of American Brahman as offered by the J. D. Hudgins ranch of Hungerford, Texas. That ranch has been exporting an "improved" variety of grey Brahmans to Central and South America for decades, which should tell you something. The cattle they produce are substantially better than the standard Zebu, Gyr, Guzaret and Indo-Brasil animals you may have seen in South America. I believe their web site is: <A HREF="http://www.jdhudgins.com" TARGET="_blank">www.jdhudgins.com</A>

Lastly, your climate and insect situation just may be so overwhelming that any breed of cattle will need help in the form of supplemental feeding, a good mineral program, spraying & dipping for insects, etc. Good luck to you.

I would recomend Red Brangus for this climate. I have sold cattle into your area and also into Brazil, Argentina,Columbia and South Africa and all we hear from the breeders is how well they perform in the hot humid climates. Black Brangus cattle are great and I own some but the Red Brangus in my opinion will do better in the hotter climates. One breeder we sold cattle starting in 1996 and he has bought several times since then has performed a study. The study has been comparing Red Brangus 3/8 by 5/8 to his Brahman cattle. He has found to his amazement that it takes 7 months shorter to get them to the desired selling weight and his return on his money was 82% higher on the Red Brangus. The 7 months shorter for the Red Brangus and the feed conversion has convinced that breeder over a 5 year test and many cattle. I agree with the previous writer about Brangus should with out a doubt in a hot humid climate outperform the Murray Grey. Try Red Brangus and see the difference.

[email protected]

I will go with Simbrah or maybe Red Brangus if you don't want any of the Cebu breds. You could consider Romagnola, in Mexico is working great.

> Dear sirs .

> Regards

> Rick

[email protected]

Try Brahmousin, web site is brahmousin.org limousin/brahman cross

> Dear sirs .

> Regards

> Rick

Don Cox":2uq530ym said:
I would recomend Red Brangus for this climate. I have sold cattle into your area and also into Brazil, Argentina,Columbia and South Africa and all we hear from the breeders is how well they perform in the hot humid climates. Black Brangus cattle are great and I own some but the Red Brangus in my opinion will do better in the hotter climates. One breeder we sold cattle starting in 1996 and he has bought several times since then has performed a study. The study has been comparing Red Brangus 3/8 by 5/8 to his Brahman cattle. He has found to his amazement that it takes 7 months shorter to get them to the desired selling weight and his return on his money was 82% higher on the Red Brangus. The 7 months shorter for the Red Brangus and the feed conversion has convinced that breeder over a 5 year test and many cattle. I agree with the previous writer about Brangus should with out a doubt in a hot humid climate outperform the Murray Grey. Try Red Brangus and see the difference.

[email protected]

I agree with you.. I hv tried Red Brangus with my domesticated cows and the outcome is fantastic. Apart from the enhancement of the carcass they stand to be hardy as well. But there are not many Red Brangus here in Malaysia.