Best Breed for new rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

zman6133

Reaction score
Just looking for some help with getting started on my new ranch. :D I would like to get a good concensus on what everyone thinks I should raise for my breed. I wanted to go with Angus but have heard that I should consider raising Herefords. I am not into the whole breeding thing right now and want to start out with some young steers to get my feet wet. So the thought is tossed out there as to what I should raise?

I just need the kind of help that makes sense as I get enough of the non-sense from my wife. She says I should go with the ones that I decide on. But I would rather get some advice from people in the business.

HELP?

Good quality crossbreds. They make good steers but the heifers also make good cows. Hereford Angus cross was the gold standard for years and is still hard to beat

So your thinking I should go with baldies? I was thinking that and like the way they fill out. I also like the stuff I have read and heard about the cows and calving....should I go that far.

Thanks

as said both breeds are good.an the buyers love that cross.but your the only 1 that can decide wich breed or cross you want.id prolly start with hereford cows an a angus bull.

It would help if we knew your location though..

Baldies are fine, but I'd go with Herefords if I were you...you can raise your one replacement stock without having to purchase females from another breeder that has BBs. JMO.

zman6133":2cpev0pq said:
Just looking for some help with getting started on my new ranch. :D I would like to get a good concensus on what everyone thinks I should raise for my breed. I wanted to go with Angus but have heard that I should consider raising Herefords. I am not into the whole breeding thing right now and want to start out with some young steers to get my feet wet. So the thought is tossed out there as to what I should raise?

I just need the kind of help that makes sense as I get enough of the non-sense from my wife. She says I should go with the ones that I decide on. But I would rather get some advice from people in the business.

HELP?

Go with your wife's suggestion. :) Good Angus cattle sell well at the sale barn, to the feedlot, or on the rail. Certified Angus Beef (CAB) has earned a reputation as a quality beef brand. Demand for AngusSource calves is growing. In our area, there's a demand for commercial Angus females for replacements. Good luck with whatever breed you choose.

tell us about your ranch about yourself and so on so that we have a clue what to suggest.

look at gelbvieh's, red and black angus are easy to come by in that part of the country. They usally do pretty good on the land there. You might want to throw in a splash of hereford with some of those crosses and you should have a pretty good starting herd to built from. good luck

So that I can get all the advice I need. I just bought about 80 acres in Riley County in Central kansas. It has a few trees on it that i am working to get rid of as soon as possible as they are not the kind I want and they are listed as an invasive tree here in Kansas. I am wanting to drop about 20 head total and see what I can learn. Just looking for the best to get started with and to learn the most from. I do not want to go with something that is so far fetched that it has no market, so therefore I am looking to get started with something that will not only teach me but will turn a small profit if it works out for that.

I love this forum as you people are the best. I am just starting out and thank all of you for your help.

First question would be how do you plan to market your cattle?

Take them to the sale barn?

Sell locker beef private treaty?

Other?

Pine Creek Ranch":3fjflyfs said:
We love the Murray Grey cows, they would be great for someone to get their feet wet in the cattle business with.
Ditto...Ditto...Ditto...
Hey Pine Creek...was your ears burning last Thursday? LaRalph asked us how we got aquainted with Midland and I told him you...he said he'd just talked to you. :tiphat:

I agree with Jovid. What you produce should depend(at least partly) on how you plan to market them. Overall, I think you could start with a variety, some crossbreds, some purebreds(don't have to be registered), and see what you like. A lot of farming is trial and error.

can't see going wrong with the ol' mom and pop baldy, if id'a listen too and old man years ago id have been money and miles ahead

I was planning on using the local sale barn but if that is not the right way, then I am again open to suggestions. But keep in mind that I am just starting out and do not have any sort of network set up yet. i have met a few of the local farmers and they are great but as far as selling in a private treaty...no network in place yet for me.

Suggestions?

Latest posts