Best Breed for new rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

To Everyone,

I did not mean to start any infighting and I know every rancher out there loves the breed they are working with. I also acknowledge that there are pluses and minuses to every breed out there. I also know that if you do not believe in what you are breeding then you are doing it for all the wrong reasons. I am doing my best to write down all the advice everyone is giving me and then when the day comes to make my decision....all of you will play a part in that process. I have emailed a few of you and will continue to ask for your help as I need it. I do want to thank all of you for the support that you have shown my wife and I in this process. I just do not want to be the foundation of causing any heartache over a beginner like me. you are the professionals and it is I who is seeking your advice so please support your breeds but don't take it out on each other. One big thing I have already learned in this whole process, is the fact I can count on honest answers from each one of you and I don't have to worry about asking the "dumb" question. Thanks to all and I will continue to seek your support and advice.

I agree with Dun. Start out with crossbred cows. Whether you get british x british (black baldies, for example) or get continental x british ( charolais x cows are usually white/off white with black noses or gold colored for example and there are many variances). I like the continental x british (or vice versa) for myself.

Since you are new, it would be better to purchase someone's off the farm. You would see them in there more natural state to determine their docility, however our own cattle know when we have a stranger with us and they act silly when my great nieces go with us (they act like they've never seen "little people" before).

If you decide to go to the salebarn find an old seasoned veteran to help you with your purchases. If you have the time, go to the salebarn several times before you buy and pay attention to who is there every week.... the old seasoned cow buyers sit in the same seats every week. Old folks especially, are creatures of habit. Get there a couple hours early and if someone unloads some cows you are interested in ask the person why they are selling them. Ask the employees there in the back who has brought in some cows that would work for you and tell em what you're looking for, etc..... like any job the employees in the background that get the job done usually know more than the ringmaster and auctioneer.

Since cows costs and profits are a concern to all beef producers plan ahead of time how many cattle you can safely run on your pasture and not have to creep feed the calves. Also since prices are generally higher in April, May and June perhaps you might consider cutting hay off your pasture and purchase your cows in August (when cow prices normally drop) .

Just some of my thoughts and good luck in your endeavor and with whatever breed you choose.

A couple of people have said that they felt someone just getting started should start with crossbred cattle rather than purebred. Can you explain this in more detail? I thought purebred would be better. Don't you get better consistency, ie stand a better chance of knowing what yoru getting with a pure bred?

ArmyDoc":wwnlcvn5 said:
A couple of people have said that they felt someone just getting started should start with crossbred cattle rather than purebred. Can you explain this in more detail? I thought purebred would be better. Don't you get better consistency, ie stand a better chance of knowing what yoru getting with a pure bred?

Well, we started with crossbreds (cheaper) so any mistakes you make hopefully hurt a little less...you don't want to climb the learning curve on purebred cattle (just my opinion)...there are a lot of ailments that newbies can't always recognize... dont always know the importance of mineral, parasite control, etc. etc. so I agree..I would start out with crossbreds and learn, learn, learn...over time they'll come to know which breed "catches their eye" and can spend the money THEN.

zman6133":232wr5c4 said:
Just looking for some help with getting started on my new ranch. :D I would like to get a good concensus on what everyone thinks I should raise for my breed. I wanted to go with Angus but have heard that I should consider raising Herefords. I am not into the whole breeding thing right now and want to start out with some young steers to get my feet wet. So the thought is tossed out there as to what I should raise?

I just need the kind of help that makes sense as I get enough of the non-sense from my wife. She says I should go with the ones that I decide on. But I would rather get some advice from people in the business.

HELP?
Most people seem to have lost sight of what the original question pertained to.

dun":1jrxpk45 said:
zman6133":1jrxpk45 said:
Just looking for some help with getting started on my new ranch. :D I would like to get a good concensus on what everyone thinks I should raise for my breed. I wanted to go with Angus but have heard that I should consider raising Herefords. I am not into the whole breeding thing right now and want to start out with some young steers to get my feet wet. So the thought is tossed out there as to what I should raise?

I just need the kind of help that makes sense as I get enough of the non-sense from my wife. She says I should go with the ones that I decide on. But I would rather get some advice from people in the business.

HELP?
Most people seem to have lost sight of what the original question pertained to.

You hit the nail on the head--he asked for steers. I certainly missed it and I apologize. With respect to steers, I think he needs to go with a nice group of Angus that have been backgrounded. Again, I apologize for my inablity to understand the question.