Best Breed for new rancher

Help Support CattleToday:

I am open to all suggestions as to how to market them. I was going to use the local sale barn.

sorry i thought you were talking about stocking your herd from the sale barn.. you ought too have plenty of options to market in kansas. out side the stockyard. you can co.op with other ranchers.. if you have a small groups.

zman6133":1rpfl585 said:
I am open to all suggestions as to how to market them. I was going to use the local sale barn.

The local sale barn will probably return the least amount of money.

Selling locker beef or raising a small registered herd will make you more money.

The only animals we sell at the sale barn are the old cull cows.

If you are going to market at the sale barn you will need to keep your costs as low as possible, so you may not want to go out and spend a bunch of money on high dollar purebreds. Also uniform groups of cattle will sell the best at the sale barn, so you will want a consistent cow herd. Try to find them all at one place (that might help with health issues too). Herefords would be good cows but they might be tough to find depending on how many you need. Angus or black cows could be found fairly easily in Kansas. You will probably want to find some cows that have had a couple calves already, they should have the fewest calving problems. Then get a calving ease bull.

As to marketing, the sale barn is fine but there are also some other opportunites through different breeds. There are several with Limousin influenced calves, also if you buy Braunvieh bulls from certain sales they have buybacks and premiums. Some breeders do things individually regarding marketing. You just have to look around for programs like that.

Not only are there breed sinfluence tags for some breeds, there are also sales that will get you bit more if the calves are preconditioned and vaccinatied, age/source verified, etc.

Two suggestions:

1) starting a small herd look at disposition as a very important factor when purchasing your first cattle. I like Hereford cows for their docility among other things. And be careful about what bull they are bred to. I would start with easy to handle animals. You can always change breed or cross later. Keep in mind a docile cow bred to a fire breathing bull is likely to have a fair percent of fire breathing calves!

2) find a local cattle dealer/order buyer. Many areas have them, especially in Kansas. Ask around to find one who neighbors recommend. Let HIM buy your cattle or find them for you, whatever breed you are looking for. These folks know cattle much better than you do. They will cost a bit more but are worth it. In the end using an order buyer may be a lot less expensive than trying to buy cattle yourself as a newcomer. On your own you may end up with paying a premium price for someone else's sick culls. You want healthy animals of whatever breed you choose. An order buyer will probably know where to get them. An order buyer can also help you sell your animals, at least when you are getting started and learning the business. Find a local order buyer/cattle dealer with a good reputation.

Or call an operation such as Sandhill Farms (post elsewhere on this board) and see if they have a few commercial cattle for sale or recommend you to one of their customers. You don't need to get into the high dollar animals to start but they can maybe guide you. Tell them what you want to do. Listen to their advice. Go visit a couple breeders nearby. jmho.

Good luck.

A suggestion: take a drive around your area. What are other folks raising? Is there a breed that interests you? Find a breeder that raises them and go talk to them. Attend a beef expo in your area walk around and talk to breeders. There are allot to choose from and all have their good and bad points.

As a hereford guy myself, I would love to tell you that Hereford was the only way to go, but for someone in your shoes I would definitely recommend going with an Angus based cowherd. But of course - breed those cows with a hereford bull. The red calves could potentially bring a discount when not marketed in large numbers, and in general it's just hard to go wrong with a good baldie.

I'm familiar with this area and the Manhattan salebarn is a good barn and you will fare just fine marketing your cattle through there. If you don't go to Manhattan, there are several other good barns close.

If your going to start out with steers as your first post states; then I would advise to just get whatever seems to be the most popular at your local sale barn. They are popular for a reason. Around here there are a lot of mixed cowherds but almost all are run with red/black angus or gelbvieh bulls. Solid red or black & baldy crossbred calves. Charlois cross calves also sell well but there just isn't as many of them. I have nothing against herferd cows but herford steers don't sell well at least in my area.

I want to thank everyone for lending a hand in helping me decide on which breed to go with for my first herd. I will post some pictures when we make our first purchase. It may be a few weeks but I will let everyone know. Thanks again for helping out and i will be counting on your help in the near future.

How many cows do you hope to run there ...new rancher??...If you are new to this, you will want cows that are easy to handle...Herefords!

You could take a shot ride to Leavenworth and visit the J and N Ranch. They have black hereford cattle and you can see their website at www.jnranch.com. Despite all of the negative attitudes shown here, it is another option to explore. Visit the www.blackhereford.com site and check out the information for yourself.

I was in your situation in 2005. I decided to do something different than everybody else. So, I went with a Bonsmara cross. It is a closed genetic system and Bonsmara USA buys back all your calves and pays a bonus. I have been very satisfied with the results. You can find out more at: http://www.smith-bonsmara.com

Not trying to pick a fight, just don't understand. Why would you want to go with a breed that will never grade sellect, let alone choice or prime? According to their web site, they have less marbling than beef that grades standard or standard minus - ie. PD - practically devoid of fat.

ArmyDoc":lgm20464 said:
Not trying to pick a fight, just don't understand. Why would you want to go with a breed that will never grade sellect, let alone choice or prime? According to their web site, they have less marbling than beef that grades standard or standard minus - ie. PD - practically devoid of fat.
If he goes that route he better market to the HEALTH CONCIOUS...nothing wrong with that...just know your market...

Wisteria Farms":al9mv0rh said:
ArmyDoc":al9mv0rh said:
If he goes that route he better market to the HEALTH CONCIOUS...nothing wrong with that...just know your market...

No fight here, I love the British breeds. I had a reserve grand Angus steer while in high school; and I raised Herefords for many years. We use Angus to cross with our Bonsmara Bulls. The buy-back program and the bonus on the calves are a big incentive. Most every breed has a place in the market. I became familar with the breed when I lived in Amarillo. When I moved back to Okahoma, I decided to go with the Bonsmara breed based on the information I obtained while in Amarillo.

Insofar as a market for Bonsmara, the market is already here. All of the calves are purchased by Bonsmara Natural Beef Company in Amarillo, Texas. The Company pays you the regional "Cattle Fax" price for your calves plus a minimum $40.00 bonus per animal. The Company picks up your calves on your ranch. The calves must be age-source verified and must be all natural. A major meat wholesaler purchses the meat from the Company and markets them as "All Natural" Bonsmara beef.

According to Texas A & M, Bonsmara scored a 3.52 mean average on the WBS. Hereford scored a 4.82 while Angus came in with a 4.05. Granted, the WBS varies from one test site to another; but the research by A & M is undeniable concerning WBS tenderness of the Bonsmara breed. Tenderness is what the industry is looking for. I have purchased a lot of choice meat that was not tender. Again, look at the research from A & M:

http://www.smith-bonsmara.com/Images/beefquality.pdf

Insofar as not grading out select or choice, one needs to look at USMARC research; but more importantly, the actual feedlot results. One would be shocked if they knew how many of the animals are grading choice or better. The grading and tenderness is unexplainable other than genetics. I understand that the marbling, tenderness, and grading seem inconsistent; but the facts are that the breed produces consitent tender beef. Research is continuing to determine why these animals produce such high quality beef. For me, this is something different and exciting.

If you are ever in Amarillo, TX stop in at the Country Barn for an all natural Bonsmara steak. It is my understanding that the beef will be available for purchase on the internet in the near future.

Within the beef breeds, it seems to me that a major part of the meat quality, however you choose to judge that, is how and what the animal is fed. There are many more aspects of a breed that need to be considered for someone just starting out.

I have had some folks tell me that Jersey dairy cattle make the "best tasting" steaks they have ever had...but I don't think anyone here would recommend a new comer start out with a beef herd of Jersey cows!

What other information is there about these Bonsmara cattle? How are there dispositions? How do they calve? Size of calves? Temperature range (can they take 30 below zero F and snow/ice all winter)?

If you just look at the beef quality why not go "Wagyu" (sp?) However the Wagyu has all sorts of other factors that need to be considered especially for a newcomer...

Personally I think a newcomer needs to look at a known breed with known pluses and minuses and availability of stock, especially stock with a good disposition. Who knows what sort of animals you get when crossing a Bonsmara and already flighty Angus... Maybe they come eat out of your hand....maybe they don't. Maybe a single hot wire will hold them in a pasture, maybe you need 6 ft of guard rail....

I think a beginner should start simple and with known qualities. You can always branch out and experiment later. The early learning is best done with known, locally adapted and available breeds, in my opinion. Jim

SRBeef":2gygz1bs said:
Within the beef breeds, it seems to me that a major part of the meat quality, however you choose to judge that, is how and what the animal is fed. There are many more aspects of a breed that need to be considered for someone just starting out.

I have had some folks tell me that Jersey dairy cattle make the "best tasting" steaks they have ever had...but I don't think anyone here would recommend a new comer start out with a beef herd of Jersey cows!

What other information is there about these Bonsmara cattle? How are there dispositions? How do they calve? Size of calves? Temperature range (can they take 30 below zero F and snow/ice all winter)?

If you just look at the beef quality why not go "Wagyu" (sp?) However the Wagyu has all sorts of other factors that need to be considered especially for a newcomer...

Personally I think a newcomer needs to look at a known breed with known pluses and minuses and availability of stock, especially stock with a good disposition. Who knows what sort of animals you get when crossing a Bonsmara and already flighty Angus... Maybe they come eat out of your hand....maybe they don't. Maybe a single hot wire will hold them in a pasture, maybe you need 6 ft of guard rail....

I think a beginner should start simple and with known qualities. You can always branch out and experiment later. The early learning is best done with known, locally adapted and available breeds, in my opinion. Jim

Jim,

I agree with most all of what you say. I am not suggesting that he go all Bonsmara--that is not practical at this time. I would never suggest that a beginner start with any breed of full blood cattle. I am simply suggesting that when doing his homework he look at all his options. One of which is "looking" at the Bonsmara breed and the potential to market any Bonsmara influenced cattle in an efficient and profitable manner. They are easily marketed with the buy back requirement.

As I stated, we cross the Bonsmara bulls with Angus cows and get great results. About 3/4 of the calves are black. We have about 200 cows. I have had about a 10% assist rate on two year old heifers. That number is decreasing every year. But again, I certainly would not suggest that a beginner start with heifers either.

The comments about meat quality were simply an answer to a previous question that implied that Bonsmare beef would/does not grade out on the rail--or that the beef is tough. The research shows otherwise.

Insofar as dispositions, my Bonsmara influenced cattle eat out of my daughter's hands. Every breed, however, has a flighty animal every once in a while. And I have an answer for that.........sell the animal.

If I had to raise cattle at -30 degrees for an entire winter, I would probably find an office job. However, I agree that Bonsmara would not be my breed of Choice if I lived in the northern tier of the country.

I understand that the board consensus is to "do what everybody else is doing" and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. The gentleman simply asked for some suggestions or options; and that is what I am providing to him.

Everybody loves "their breed" of cattle. However, a person does not need to put one breed down to build another up.

Latest posts